Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Navy narvik shields

Article about: I have posted four navy Narvik shields. One is deemed original. The others fake (that's what I was told). Can we pick out the "said" original ?

Default Navy narvik shields

I have posted four navy Narvik shields. One is deemed original. The others fake (that's what I was told). Can we pick out the "said" original ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

If this is just a guess or by feel question, I would go with #2.

Toss up between 2 & 4 for me ,regards paul

#2 is said to be an original zinc. But all the "said fakes" are different. Brassy material, "fake" tombak like material. These maybe the most reproduced shields or award of the 3rd Reich. I could not guess how many post war companies made these things. I have seen so many variations of repros...Who was making all these I wonder ?

Thanks Visor & Paul for your participation & interest
    David

These badges area minefield really, one reason I don't collect them. When you have to resort to a microscope and metallurgical analysis to be sure you are not wasting your money, I think..no thanks.

REAL STEEL..... while these photos do not deserve bsiwula 's appellation of the Shroud of Turin, I would hazard a guess once JAN has his/her NARVIK in hand.

I would need close-ups of the obverse eagle and swastika. Of course, the reverse would give me a real sense of the FINGERPRINT of the tooling....but I would advise everyone not to dismantle them....Doug.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    These badges area minefield really, one reason I don't collect them. When you have to resort to a microscope and metallurgical analysis to be sure you are not wasting your money, I think..no thanks.
    This has to be the most well stated, intelligent reply I have ever read here

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    This has to be the most well stated, intelligent reply I have ever read here
    but we all know that the fakes are getting better and better. Just like our need to use USB microscopes to confirm some decals, we are at that point with awards as well. It is just the "next step" in authentication that we need to take.

like him or not, it is my understanding that John Rivett is currently doing this and self publishing his books/booklets.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

REAL STEEL....My compliments for taking all four photos with a centered point of origin for the X-Y-Z axis.

I must make it clear that I am not a war relic collector, so I certainly hesitate to ever declare anything real. I never even declared bsiwula1 's HOLY COW EHRENRING as real. I THINK it is real still implies PERHAPS.

However, as a novice speaking from my gut feeling....when I first saw these four NARVIK, my reaction was.....

#1.....if this is REAL, then the others and thousands more are doing a poor job of faking #1.

#4....the numbering sequence is unclear, so I assume #4 is the NARVIK with the grotesque extra metal surrounding the head. I would summarily reject #4. Would you give your school teacher an apple with bite marks ??? Answer: only if you were careless or didn't like the teacher.

#2 and to a certain extent #3.....closer inspection so I don't shoot myself in the foot.

I feel it is unfair to the spirit of the forum to shoot from the hip with one line quips......Doug
    Last edited by stakeside; 10-23-2017 at 06:00 AM. Reason: HUMBLED

MAP
    ?

Quote by stakeside View Post

I must make it clear that I am not a war relic collector....

.....closer inspection so I don't shoot myself in the foot or incur the WRATH of Ralph or MAP.

I feel it is unfair to the spirit of the forum to shoot from the hip with one line quips......Doug
    1) positive and especially negative comments without analysis is useless.

2) while a prolific poster (and talker - just ask anyone I've had a conversation with), I am in NO WAY an expert and should never be looked at as an authority nor a deliverer of wrath. I am just an enthusiastic collector that believes in study and learning. This is why I try to present my views with clear simple analysis based on accepted doctrine or research.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)