Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to ask a question,

Article about: Hi You are lucky man John, IOM here i come lol, it might be a stupid question as im not getting the rifle mentioned, but what would be the value of one of the converted Enfields to .22 air r

Default Need to ask a question,

Hi,
    Today i was offered a Lee Enfield No4 made by Long Branch, BUT converted by world wide arms to a .22 prechared air rifle, lovely looking rifle in great condition in it,s box with all the pieces to go with it. My thought are does this come under a FAC, iv not seen one before although i collect enfields ect, i know some of my friends on here will have the answer so over to you guys.
    Dave.

ps, If it is FAC it can stay where it is, lol.

If it's a pre charged air cartridge type like the Brocock system then these are now illegal. I had several air revolvers that were taken by the police without any compensation given several years ago when they were banned as it was said that they could be, and were being, re converted back to live firers.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

You guys can't even own air rifles, very sad.
    Regards,
    John

Ned, can you define "taken"? How exactly was this done? In not trying to be a smarta$$, I'm just curious what the process was for these being "taken."

?

Quote by relicz View Post
    You guys can't even own air rifles, very sad.

It's not that we cant even own air rifles, we can, it basically depends on what the foot poundage on discharge is when fired through a chronograph.
    Basically, unless the laws have changed, an air Rifle shall have a muzzle velocity of 12 fps or less and an air PISTOL, 6fps or less otherwise they get lumped in with the class 1 over here.

Of course, this can be a minefield, because you could have a rifle that is perfectly legal when tested one day with one particular set of pellets but can be way off the scale the next day when tested with a different manufacturers pellets, (as I know from experience!!)

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

When my shotgun certificate was up for renewal an officer came to check my security arangements such as the cabinet and locks. Inside was a Uberti 1866 Model Army revolver that was using the Brocock air cartridge system. He informed me that these were now illegal (I had no idea) and said if I handed it over along with any others that I had (another four from, Brocock, Weihrauch and Armi San Marco), then I would not face prosecution. Apparently the 'offence' carried a maximum sentence of 5 years if I recall. Needless to say, I handed them in, but this didn't stop the police from still searching my property involving several officers for almost an hour. Total value of the air weapons was well over £1000 (the Uberti 1866 was over £400) and I received no compensation as they said that they should have been handed in several months before when there was an 'amnesty' of around 3 months to hand them in after the law was passed. The fact that I was living and working abroad at the time, and was unaware of this cut no ice, and I was told that I was lucky not to be prosecuted and lose my shotgun and FAC licence forthwith. I was allowed to keep the cartridge charging stirrup pump, although one of the officers had the nerve to ask if i'd like to sell it to him when I was called for an interview/bollocking a couple of weeks later! I politely told him to feck off.

Hi ,
    Well thanks for your answers, i know now that it is illegal and will not be having it, ( i like my freedom )
    thanks Ned & Ian for putting me right.
    Dave.

?

Scary stuff, from our outsider vantage point over here, it seems you guys are living in a police state.
    Regards,
    John

Yes Ban guns and you ban crime right? NO it just means that the only people to get guns are the criminals. I'm rather lucky that I live in the Isle of Man. The UK laws on firearms do not apply to us, therefore I have just bought a lovely Glock 17 to go with my other pistols. There is talk about the semi autos coming back as that was taken away some time ago. There is no gun crime over here.

Quote by big ned View Post
    When my shotgun certificate was up for renewal an officer came to check my security arangements such as the cabinet and locks. Inside was a Uberti 1866 Model Army revolver that was using the Brocock air cartridge system. He informed me that these were now illegal (I had no idea) and said if I handed it over along with any others that I had (another four from, Brocock, Weihrauch and Armi San Marco), then I would not face prosecution. Apparently the 'offence' carried a maximum sentence of 5 years if I recall. Needless to say, I handed them in, but this didn't stop the police from still searching my property involving several officers for almost an hour. Total value of the air weapons was well over £1000 (the Uberti 1866 was over £400) and I received no compensation as they said that they should have been handed in several months before when there was an 'amnesty' of around 3 months to hand them in after the law was passed. The fact that I was living and working abroad at the time, and was unaware of this cut no ice, and I was told that I was lucky not to be prosecuted and lose my shotgun and FAC licence forthwith. I was allowed to keep the cartridge charging stirrup pump, although one of the officers had the nerve to ask if i'd like to sell it to him when I was called for an interview/bollocking a couple of weeks later! I politely told him to feck off.
    Wow! WTF! Thats kind of what I was afraid the answer would be. What a damn shame. Sounds like the police get off on this stuff. Here the police are very big proponents of gun ownership and I don't know of any officers that would consider confiscation a good idea. And they still interviewed you several weeks later after searching your property? Yeah what a bunch of BS. That's truly about control and not public safety. Like I have said before, you all have my sympathy because that's just a sad state of affairs and a sad way to live.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast