Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

New emoticons

Article about: by bond one of those that i belong to, but as you say not very active, though some nice colour pictures, but a bit ott on the watermarking. ott ?

Default Re: New emoticons

Exactly, compare the 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

By the way Tom, IMO the use of emoticons is not to replace words. You use them with what you wrote to make the feeling more ''viewable''
    If someone asks if something is original you don't just reply with
    you say your fully explained answer and at the end you attach the thumps up next to it.

It's the same with words though. It's very often that i see replies like: ''fake'', ''nice'', ''it's wrong''.... and they don't even bother to explain why. This behavior doesn't make words useless, so why should it make emoticons useless?

Oh and something else guys.
    If something is funny you have to write lol.
    Is ''lol'' better than this emoticon?

?

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Something i find funny, it may not be according to your sense of humor and vice versa.
    And therein lies a potential problem.........

The forum is international and includes members from all walks of life and form all levels of society and each person is an individual. How can anyone judge how another might misread or misjudge the reason behing the emoticon? Would it not be better to just have a select few of these that cover all eventualities and can't be misread or taken out of context rather than pages of small animations that actually have no bearing on the purpose of the forum? We are here to discuss militaria and share our collections with like minded people. Will the forum attract new and serious collectors and keep our current and valued members if it becomes drenched in emoticons. We all have a laugh and a joke, indulge in friendly banter and also take part in some serious and informative discussions without using a huge range of emoticons.
    Will overuse (and they will be overused, trust me!) of these things devalue the integrity of the forum?

Again, please discuss. I'm trying to promote discussion of the issue as per the opening post, not have a go at anyone or anyone's point of view.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Ok....... so I'm getting the feeling now that instead of adding a load more, an improvement to the ones we already have would be more acceptable? Perhaps to lose some of the less popular and exchange them for some better examples?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I think we need a drool emoticon. That I might use and also one with a look of withering contempt, otherwise I don't really bother with them much.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Will overuse (and they will be overused, trust me!) of these things devalue the integrity of the forum?
    IMO no, because GHW and WAF have more and better emoticons but still are among the most popular forums.

We definitely need to upgrade ours with better ones and also add a few more like these

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    IMO no, because GHW and WAF have more and better emoticons but still are among the most popular forums.

We definitely need to upgrade ours with better ones and also add a few more like these
    I agree, WAF, HJ forum, GCA for example all have many more emotions and they do not undermine the serious aspect or detract from the topics at all. They are not over or inappropriately used and IMO are used in exactly the right context to gauge the feeling and meaning behind a post

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Quote by Stickgrenade View Post
    I agree, WAF, HJ forum, GCA for example all have many more emotions and they do not undermine the serious aspect or detract from the topics at all. They are not over or inappropriately used and IMO are used in exactly the right context to gauge the feeling and meaning behind a post

Nick
    I feel the same way. Let's not forget that the majority of users here are mature, intelligent guys. It's not like this is a videogame or justin bieber forum...

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I feel the same way. Let's not forget that the majority of users here are mature, intelligent guys. It's not like this is a videogame or justin bieber forum...
    There's a Justin Bieber forum? Sign me up! (Just kidding... )

I am comfortable with the emoticons we have now. They serve their purpose well, I think. Don't fix what isn't broken!

(Just checked... haha! There really is a Justin Bieber forum! Justin Bieber Forum | Justin Bieber Fanfiction | JustinBieber.org )

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4