Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

New film - 'Stalingrad'

Article about: Looking forward to this !! It stars the excellent Thomas Kretchmann and the brilliant August Diehl ( Inglorious Bastards) Stalingrad (2013) - IMDb Shooting Stalingrad: Renowned Russian direc

Default Re: New film - 'Stalingrad'

will it be released in English or only Russian, also one will ahve to ask caan it be better than "enemy at the gates" or the original Stalingrad, only time will tell i guess.

Looking forward to this one.Been a while since I saw a WW2 film that knocked my socks off. Last war film I saw that did it for me was 'The Black Book'. Its a dutch movie, a little contrived in places but a great film in my opinion. I hope this new Stalingrad is as good as I hope it is....haha

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    ....also one will ahve to ask caan it be better than "enemy at the gates" ...
    If they make an effort with Russian & German accents than that would be a good start!

I was impressed with the last Russian war film that I saw - Fortress Of War, which is about the fighting for the Brest-Litovsk citadel in June 1941 - so maybe there is a new wave of good war films coming out of Russia.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    If they make an effort with Russian & German accents than that would be a good start!

I was impressed with the last Russian war film that I saw - Fortress Of War, which is about the fighting for the Brest-Litovsk citadel in June 1941 - so maybe there is a new wave of good war films coming out of Russia.
    Fortress of war was very good !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Interesting. Look forward to the new movie (but then I looked forward to Iron Sky too and that stank to high heaven. What a POS!)

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority here. I always liked the poor 1993 Stalingrad film.

Luke
    I quite liked the 'original' too.
    Surprised so many here dont.
    Horses for courses and all that.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Fortress of war was very good !

Nick
    Thomas Kretschmann must of been on his holidays when they made that one!!

?

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    Looking forward to this one.Been a while since I saw a WW2 film that knocked my socks off. Last war film I saw that did it for me was 'The Black Book'. Its a dutch movie, a little contrived in places but a great film in my opinion. I hope this new Stalingrad is as good as I hope it is....haha
    Yes, quite liked 'Zwartboek' too. Hey, its by Verhoeven
    As you say, a little contrieved but still okay.

This is a good easy reference book on Stalingrad. I refer to it alot

This is a chronological account of the battle that inflicted a heavy defeat on the German Wehrmacht. With the aid of full color maps and first hand accounts, the book explains how the Germans initially made vast territorial conquests during the opening phases of Operation Blue, their 1942 offensive in southern Russia. But then the Sixth Army was drawn into a war of attrition in the rubble of Stalingrad, where the mobility and firepower of the panzers counted for nothing.

• New examinations of this perennially interesting battle
    • Includes newly-discovered photographs and information from Soviet archives
    • First-hand accounts feature heavily, bringing home the grim reality of urban fighting
    • Strategic overview of Operation Blue, the codename of the 1942 German offensive in Russia
    • Detailed timeline chapters allow the reader to put the Stalingrad battle in a strategic context
    • Comparison of the fighting techniques and weapons employed by the Germans and Soviets in 1942
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Looks like an excellent book. Might be worth looking into.

I'm always a little dubious of books with less than 200 pages as to how in-depth can they really be when you take into account that it will also have pages on the background to the events and the after effects etc?
    An extremely good book is Michael K Jones 'Stalingrad: How The Red Army Triumphed' - although it concentrates on the Russian angle it does have plenty of eye witness accounts and breaks down the long held myths of various parts of the battle.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast