Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Normandy Relic Shops

Article about: I received for my birthday the great present of going to Normandy on and around June 6th. (I will also go to Paris) Is it worth looking into the Normandy Relic shops? I heard they have a lot

Question Normandy Relic Shops

I received for my birthday the great present of going to Normandy on and around June 6th. (I will also go to Paris)

Is it worth looking into the Normandy Relic shops? I heard they have a lot in St. Mere Eglise??

I do not know anything about these shops, so here are my questions,:

1. Is it worth spending my money at one of these shops?
    2. Is it "extra" expensive over there?
    3. Would there be any problems with bringing back purchased items to the USA?
    4. Have any of you been to these shops? What was your impression of them?

Thanks for the help, Swayne

Default Re: Normandy Relic Shops

Nice one mate.... thats a GREAT birthday present!

I'm interested in this thread, as I'm also going to Normandy in a few weeks with my Great Uncle Joe (D-Day Vet), so any shopping tips will be great.

If i were you i would not buy anything from ww2 around the time you go.

Let say it this way: When it is in the summer they dubble or even triple the prices. Because the toerist comes and buy.

Verry expensive. And if it is cheap it will probely be fake..

greets DE

ian
    ?

in my small experience of shops in this area unless they know you or they see that you know what your doing they will take you for every penny they can get
    they will smile at you while they empty your walet
    they sell huge amounts of tourist fakes
    but i generalise
    some sell some very good gear but they all belive the yank has a fat walet
    so beware
    they are a little more conservative with brits cos we dont have so much money
    the way i see it is if there is no price tag on the item then you are open to skin tax if you know what i mean
    cheers ian

i got something from a shop at Normandy called "dead mens corner" they sell alot of stuff. I don't know if everything is real but the casings i got where in a great condition but came with a price
    a .50 casing cost me about 8 euros, so it's not cheap.

cheers,

In some places you can get really good deals though, In this shop beside the Menin Gate in Ypres you can get complete rifle relics (rusty and minus the wood) for 20 Euros.

Thanks

Danny

Hi,
    most will and have said about the price of military items throughout Normandy, as said there are many repros around.
    I went for relic pieces as the are the only real originals to buy
    unless you have a fat wallet. In St- Mere-Eglise there are plenty of shops to see with items of militaria in, this goes for the whole of normandy as just look at what you want to buy first. And dead mans corner is full of repro,s.
    Have a great trip,
    Dave.

I have never been to Normandy before, so if you would like to name some "must see places," I would be very interested. I know that some of you have been there many times, so if you could name a few "must see" relic shops, museums, areas (bunkers), etc. it would be very helpfull.

Many Thanks,

Swayne

u could take a look at the museum that's next to the shop "dead mens corner" .
    I believe it is situated at the beach... don't know for sure..

cheers,

Dear Swayne,hello! As a French living in Normandy,let me give you an advice:militaria has become a great merchandising stuff.You have more money than us,you have ancestors that did the WW II,some of them died for us,so you are the perfect buyer...Most of the sellers there see you coming with your natural emotion...It is much more harder for them to sell us things cause we're not interesting for them.Month of june is the best season for them!
    So,if you have time in Normandy,have a look to internet to spot some other places,some other shops that are close to this area,but not IN this area.Problem of transportation is surely real for you,if you have the luck to rent a car,plan your visit on the net,you will save time once here.
    I'm a member of a french militaria site,wich has some guys around Caen.Tommorow,I'll post a thread to ask them to give me their best adresses in militaria shops,eyes-catching places ,museums around Sainte Mere Eglise.Once collected ,I will send you their advices in a PM,allright for you?
    Thanks to visit us,and don't miss my good ol'town:Rouen,on the way to Paris!BYE!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast