Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Obtaining a firearm licence in Western Australia

Article about: Was hoping someone might be able to help me. I'm interested in owning a .303 SMLE rifle, but I've never owned or even handled a firearm in my life (probably dangerous ). I don't have a genui

?

Default Obtaining a firearm licence in Western Australia

Was hoping someone might be able to help me.

I'm interested in owning a .303 SMLE rifle, but I've never owned or even handled a firearm in my life (probably dangerous ).

I don't have a genuine reason for owning a rifle other than for occasionally shooting it at a range, and for the fact that it would be cool to own. I'd also like to perhaps use it for the rare opportunity of going hunting (kangaroo, feral pigs etc.).

I was wondering if someone in the know might be able to give me a walkthrough for the process, and whether I would have any luck in getting said licence, what kind of costs I would be looking at etc.

Cheers guys

Default Re: Obtaining a firearm licence in Western Australia

Where do you live?

Diomac, you'll need to show the plods that you have somewhere to use it so get a letter from a station owner that gives you permission to shoot roos etc... On his property. Take that to the cop shop along with details of the rifle you want and just follow the instructions from there. You'll have to have a gun safe to keep it in as well and will have to show the coppers that you have it secured properly, they'll come to inspect it. I know there is a shooting range on the road to Northampton, it might pay you to join up with them, it'll make it that bit easier to get the licence. You shouldn't have too many dramas getting a licence around your way.

?

Thanks Dave I found a couple of good online guides, so I'll have a look into it!

The process is very different now-applications are all done on line-no direct contact with the Wallopers anymore.

PS Did you get one?