Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

The Officer's Ward

Article about: Hey everyone, After having my head stuck in this book today i thought i would share it and recommend it to you. I found it to be a truly fantastic book that has opened my eyes to the effects

Default The Officer's Ward

Hey everyone,

After having my head stuck in this book today i thought i would share it and recommend it to you. I found it to be a truly fantastic book that has opened my eyes to the effects of physicial disfigurement during WW1. Written by a french author called Marc Dugain, based on a true account, and translated by Howard Curtis.

"In the officers' ward of a hospital in Paris, three young men and a woman meet in the early days of the First World War. Each of them has suffered horrific injuries to the face: Adrien, the narrator, Penanster, a Breton aristocrat, Weil, a Jewish aviator, and Marguerite, a nurse, one of the few women in the hospital. The friendship that the four form sustains them through the months and years that follow. When the war ends they are released from hospital, to adapt as best they can to life outside. Based on the true war experiences of the author's grandfather, this is a moving, humorous and humane novel about war and survival. 'A powerful, haunting novel'

It highlights both the obvious physical issues aswell as the psychological effects of this. It also discusses the effects it had post war. A great book, and if you haven't read it i can highly recommend it (Only a penny on Amazon!)

I have just ordered the film adaption and look forward to seeing how its been done but nothing compares to a book in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg d.jpg (9.2 KB, 23 views)