Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Age Old Question?

Article about: Values?? the age old question. When the question is most often asked as to the value of an item...and the answers rise, many different opinions spew forth. This in itself should tell you som

Default Age Old Question?

Values?? the age old question. When the question is most often asked as to the value of an item...and the answers rise, many different opinions spew forth. This in itself should tell you something, if not throw up at the very least a "pink" flag.

There are many factors to be considered in determining the true value of an item, including the circumstances surrounding it. IMHO it all comes down to value is how it is perceived ... any thoughts on this?

The value of an item is whatever someone is willing to pay, no more, no less.
    Ralph.
    Since this is a generic question, I have moved it to the discussions forum.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Good point to post thread on Richard. I have thrown up my share of flags in the past. . So I will Spew forth from my heart.

My humble opinion on value is really what you are willing to pay as Ralph hits on. What does the piece mean to me, History behind it, markings, the story, condition, rarity & connection to the piece is how I value a militaria piece. I have a minty SS Dagger with capture paper and shipping box with data on the US Solider my Grandfather knew from WWII and we tracked it down. It is probably worth a bunch of dough to the right buyer. I however have my first militaria piece that is a scabby, well worn, broken Nazi pistol that Grandpa brought back from the war that nobody could ever buy off me. With his German Warbride my German Oma's picture in handle it has deep value that money can't replace. Priceless to me but on Ebay, Craigslist or Gunbroker I might get $100 for it. I posted the pictures of the pistol and SS dagger below. Pistol wins my heart every day!

I believe a few people get hung up on getting a great deal and making this hobby about an "investment". Yes...Wise to buy and procure nice collectable items that are mint, rare and stellar. I value nice items of course but to me ultimately it is for the joy of the collect and the history behind it.

I believe this forum has the best collectors out there who are in it for all the right reasons! Salute you all!

Rossi
    Attached Images Attached Images

War Relics Forum Sponsor
    My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Quote by rbminis View Post
    The value of an item is whatever someone is willing to pay, no more, no less.
    Ralph.
    I am not sure it is as simple as that.

If the value of item is only ever worth as much as someone is willing to pay then how does one know when one gets a bargain or if one has overpaid?

There are many threads on here where someone has paid very little for an item known to be worth considerably more. Would the items value be the purchase price or the real market value? I think the latter.

Going back into history, when German Jews were forced into fire-sales to dispose of their art collections at give-away prices were those prices the real value of the artworks then purchased by non-Jewish German art collectors and dealers?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Good Point Stefan....I posted my artillery computer on here the other day. I have no idea what the market value is? Have not seen many of them. Thought it was always very boring and had little or no real feelings on it. Seems many of the guys thought it was cool and interesting when I posted it. One forum member pointed out the soldiers name and number and traced it to the unit. His interest in the item and historical data he gave me increased and brought the value to me of what I thought was a boring and weird item. Might I have paid more years ago if I knew the level interest, rarity and other factors. Most likely. The other big question is who sets market value, what will it bear and how it is such a moving target,

Thanks for your thoughts. What I love about this forum is the great perspectives we all bring. Helps strengthen the hobby for sure!!!

Quote by StefanM View Post
    I am not sure it is as simple as that.

If the value of item is only ever worth as much as someone is willing to pay then how does one know when one gets a bargain or if one has overpaid?

There are many threads on here where someone has paid very little for an item known to be worth considerably more. Would the items value be the purchase price or the real market value? I think the latter.

Going back into history, when German Jews were forced into fire-sales to dispose of their art collections at give-away prices were those prices the real value of the artworks then purchased by non-Jewish German art collectors and dealers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

War Relics Forum Sponsor

There is a great deal of difference between a bargain and what one is willing to pay. A couple of years ago I obtained a pattern 1907 bayonet from a junk stall. The vendor wanted 50 for it, but I knocked him down to 45. The bayonet in question is an Enfield manufactured and dated November 1914 example without the oiling hole. Quite a rare one to find these days. There are no re-issue dates, and it is marked to the 3rd battalion, Welsh Fusiliers.

What would I have been prepared to pay for this immaculate example? Maybe about 100 - which would still have been cheap. But I paid 45, and that was a bargain. Its true value? Maybe as much as 150. So in answer to Stefan's question, yes - you can know when you have a bargain, and the true value isn't always what an individual is prepared to pay - it can be higher.
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

Value, it depends are you buying or selling. Always worth less if your buying and more when your selling, simples.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

This is really great to see all these excellent responses to my original question. As for myself, I just acquired a rare item to enhance my collection. This is a rare piece, the bottom half only of an original green box for the bronze version of the Spanish Cross. It's just in good condition for the period. My cross will look great in this when I display and if I ever decide to offer it for sale it should increase the value considerably. The attached photos are not that good. The center of the box is actually raised to accommodate the curvature of the cross, also the color of the liner is actually a slightly darker red than appears in the photos. My Spanish Cross in Bronze fits perfectly in it. I will be taking some better photos with and without my cross in it.

I know what I paid for this and for my cross however, I have no idea as to the complete package value at this point in time.

2577A.jpg2577B.jpg2577C.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Kimmel; 11-13-2014 at 08:39 PM.

?

Cool Box Richard. My Dad collects vintage metal toys from the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's. Original packaging always enhances value. Packaging is such a vital vehicle for delivering the piece to the audience. Thanks again for kicking the post off. Be well .

Quote by Richard Kimmel View Post
    This is really great to see all these excellent responses to my original question. As for myself, I just acquired a rare item to enhance my collection. This is a rare piece, the bottom half only of an original green box for the bronze version of the Spanish Cross. It's just in good condition for the period. My cross will look great in this when I display and if I ever decide to offer it for sale it should increase the value considerably. The attached photos are not that good. The center of the box is actually raised to accommodate the curvature of the cross but is not too apparent in the photos. My Spanish Cross in Bronze fits perfectly in it. I will be taking some better photos with and without my cross in it.

I know what I paid for this and for my cross however, I have no idea as to the complete package value at this point in time.

2577A.jpg2577B.jpg2577C.jpg

War Relics Forum Sponsor

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Cool Box Richard. My Dad collects vintage metal toys from the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's. Original packaging always enhances value. Packaging is such a vital vehicle for delivering the piece to the audience. Thanks again for kicking the post off. Be well .
    Thanks ... Does you dad ever watch the t.v. show American Pickers? They discover many vintage toys from the same period as your dad collects. I'm going to be 80 and I had may of these same toys back when I was growing up. I just wish that I had kept them or that my parents would have saved a few; even if they were broken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast