Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Age old questions bit of a quiz: Why did the Army do things?

Article about: Why did the Army do things? Why paint coal white? I know the answer I am interestad to know who else does? During the war and during National Service the British Army spent time painting coa

Default Re: Age old questions bit of a quiz: Why did the Army do things?

Hello all you defaulters,
    Painting coal white was not only the preserve of the army. At a RN shore establishment not only was the coal painted white but the mess dustbins were polished to a mirror finish.
    "If it move's salute it, if it stands still, paint it white".
    Cheers,
    navyman.

Quote by navyman View Post
    Hello all you defaulters,
    Painting coal white was not only the preserve of the army. At a RN shore establishment not only was the coal painted white but the mess dustbins were polished to a mirror finish.
    "If it move's salute it, if it stands still, paint it white".
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    You missed the other bit out... 'And if it does move - paint it anyway.'

And for those who are wondering what RAMDI stands for... Back in 1973 I was at North Uist with our Gun Battery - who at the time were the trials unit for the (then) new Rapier missile system. A Canberra bomber would fly accross the firing point towing a wind-sock as the target. Fixed to the back of it was a RAMDI... Radio-Active Miss Distance Indicator. And a SEZ unit is a Selector - Engagement Zone. All ex squaddies will remember how the army had a habit of reversing a description, such as... Brushes - paint - for the use of...

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    You missed the other bit out... 'And if it does move - paint it anyway.'

And for those who are wondering what RAMDI stands for... Back in 1973 I was at North Uist with our Gun Battery - who at the time were the trials unit for the (then) new Rapier missile system. A Canberra bomber would fly accross the firing point towing a wind-sock as the target. Fixed to the back of it was a RAMDI... Radio-Active Miss Distance Indicator. And a SEZ unit is a Selector - Engagement Zone. All ex squaddies will remember how the army had a habit of reversing a description, such as... Brushes - paint - for the use of...
    Yes Harry I forgot the 'paint it anyway' bit, but on the surface it was paint it grey, and in 'Boats', paint it black. I've attached an early pic of the last of our 'T' Boats, but suspect that at the time the colour may have been pale grey for service in the Med? Last time I saw her she was black.
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Cheers,
    navyman.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6