Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Age old questions bit of a quiz: Why did the Army do things?

Article about: Why did the Army do things? Why paint coal white? I know the answer I am interestad to know who else does? During the war and during National Service the British Army spent time painting coa

ian
    ?

Default Age old questions bit of a quiz: Why did the Army do things?

Why did the Army do things?

Why paint coal white?
    I know the answer I am interestad to know who else does? During the war and during National Service the British Army spent time painting coal white something for the soldiers on jankers to do, no, it had a serious reason.

I have many more of these questions. Most i know the answer but how many more people know or understand why these things were done. None of the things the Army did then were stupid they all had good reason. I hope this can go on to be a very interesting thead.

cheers ian

Default re: Age old questions bit of a quiz: Why did the Army do things?

The reason these thing were done was to instill discipline and to punish. Such tasks were usually given to soldier's on ROP's or CTB's. I was once placed on BC's orders for being absent from place of duty. I was detailed to work at the TQMS, but my gun-sub Sergeant wanted me at the garages to carry out T's & A's. As my fatigue duty was listed on the Troop standing orders that is what I chose to do. So my Sergeant reported me for being absent from place of duty. You can never win in the army. How many of you know what the different abbreviations stand for?

During an inspection before guard duty the Duty Sargeant (or Corporal of Horse in the Life Guards) removed my cap and saw the badge pin was not clean enough.

I had to bumper the guardroom floor wearing a gasmask for two hours !
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Painting Coal white was done, I believe, to prevent theft.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Age old questions bit of a quiz: Why did the Army do things?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The reason these thing were done was to instill discipline and to punish. Such tasks were usually given to soldier's on ROP's or CTB's. I was once placed on BC's orders for being absent from place of duty. I was detailed to work at the TQMS, but my gun-sub Sergeant wanted me at the garages to carry out T's & A's. As my fatigue duty was listed on the Troop standing orders that is what I chose to do. So my Sergeant reported me for being absent from place of duty. You can never win in the army. How many of you know what the different abbreviations stand for?

Hi Harry

OK, I'll bite! As far as I can remember, the abbreviations stand for......

CTB.......Confined to Barracks
    BC............Battery Commander
    TQMS........Troop QuarterMaster Serjeant

Cant remember what ROP and T&A stand for though.

Just out of curiosity, going on your avatar and the above, where you in RA?

Regards etc

Ian

AKA: Jimpy

Quote by ian View Post
    Why did the Army do things?

Why paint coal white?
    I know the answer I am interestad to know who else does? During the war and during National Service the British Army spent time painting coal white something for the soldiers on jankers to do, no, it had a serious reason.

I have many more of these questions. Most i know the answer but how many more people know or understand why these things were done. None of the things the Army did then were stupid they all had good reason. I hope this can go on to be a very interesting thead.

cheers ian
    Ian,
    Very interesting topic, enjoyed reading some of the responses.
    From the other side of the pond some info relating to the US Military and where "slang" guotations come from.

The term "Leatherneck" in reference to US Marines came from the leather collar worn during our revolution against our friends from England to protect their necks against sword strikes.

The "Crew Cut", short haircut still worn today came from the US Navy during the same period where once a month all the sailors on the ship had to line up for a haircut which was a side job of the cook. Hence the term "Crew Cut".

The term "Head" in reference to the tolet comes from the US Navy as well during the early days where they had boards with holes cut in them at the front of the ship where the sailors would go set to do their business. Each time the front of the ship would dip into the water it would wash off the mess. So when a sailor had to go to the bathroom he would say " I'm going to the head" of the ship.

One other tid bit relating to "punishment". When I was attending Flight School in 1967 our Tac Officer found a dead fly on the window sill. That following Sunday the entire unit had to fall out in full dress uniform and perform a "Military Funeral" with full honors for our departed aviator friend. We had to make a coffin out of a match box, and dig a 6' X 6' hole, place the coffin in the hole and cover it up. As we were about to be dismissed the Tac Officer brought up the question "Was he really dead"? We then had to dig him up and make sure he had indeed passed away then rebury him. Took up most of our only day off for the week.

Now that I have bored you half to death, will move on.

Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Terry

?

This could develop into a really interesting "Myth and Fact" thread. I vote that we try and keep it going guys.

ian
    ?

ade is right
    each billet was issued 1 bucket of cole and when the issue was complete they would paint the coal white so if any were taken it would show up
    cheers ian

ian
    ?

next ?
    why were curb stones on barracks painted black and white alternately

good post there terry still laughing about that fly

ian
    ?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    yes harry your right to an extent
    but all of the things that people belive were for punnishment most of them had good sound reasons for being done
    it was just convenient to use people on punnishment to carry out
    these mundane but necesary tasks
    cheers ian

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast