Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Operation Barbarossa Namesake

Article about: Frederick I, 1122-1190. Barbarossa means 'Red Beard' in Italian. He was crowned Emperor of Germany in 1152, was crowned Holy Roman Emperor in 1155. He drowned in the Saleph River,Asia Minor

Default Operation Barbarossa Namesake

Frederick I, 1122-1190. Barbarossa means 'Red Beard' in Italian. He was crowned Emperor of Germany in 1152, was crowned Holy Roman Emperor in 1155. He drowned in the Saleph River,Asia Minor fighting the Muslims in 1190. Back in the Empire he was greatly mourned and was thought to still be alive and slumbering in a mountain cave in Germany surrounded by his brave knights.
    "When ravens cease to fly round the mountain" according to legend, "Barbarossa shall awake and come to the aid of Germany."

Default Re: Operation Barbarossa Namesake

Quote by packin9 View Post
    Frederick I, 1122-1190. Barbarossa means 'Red Beard' in Italian. He was crowned Emperor of Germany in 1152, was crowned Holy Roman Emperor in 1155. He drowned in the Saleph River,Asia Minor fighting the Muslims in 1190. Back in the Empire he was greatly mourned and was thought to still be alive and slumbering in a mountain cave in Germany surrounded by his brave knights.
    "When ravens cease to fly round the mountain" according to legend, "Barbarossa shall awake and come to the aid of Germany."
    Similar to if the ravens leave the Tower of London the Tower will collapse!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Similar story to that of King Arthur.

Cheers, Ade.

Well, It sorta came true on this occasion. Instead of all of Europe,Stalin had to settle with half.