Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Operation 'Cleansweep' ~ Clean-up of Contaminated Land formerly used by the MOD

Article about: Has anybody heard of this operation carried out by the MOD in the UK? I am presently involved in carrying out a site survey of a piece of land for which Planning Permission has been turned d

Default Operation 'Cleansweep' ~ Clean-up of Contaminated Land formerly used by the MOD

Has anybody heard of this operation carried out by the MOD in the UK?

I am presently involved in carrying out a site survey of a piece of land for which Planning Permission has been turned down for a caravan and camping site. This site is known to have been used as a small military training area and lies fairly close to a disused airfield which had been used from WWI through to the 1960s. Metal detecting finds so far comprise nothing more than small arms spent cases, pieces of grenade shrapnel etc.

It is known that Mustard Gas was stored at this airfield and it is believed that canisters were dealt with during the 1960s or 1970s. Needless to say, that the MOD have not been particularly forthcoming regarding this site and I believe that much of the documentation remains classified.

Contaminated sites in the UK was a country-wide issue for the MOD brought to a head by the 'Corporate Manslaughter and Homicide Act'. It prompted action by them to identify and clean up a number of such sites across the UK.

I am just wondering if anybody has heard of such an Operation?

Cheers

Martin

Lightbulb Re: Operation 'Cleansweep' ~ Clean-up of Contaminated Land formerly used by the MOD

I'm afraid that I can't give any definitive information, but I do know that this topic has cropped up a couple of times in After The Battle magazine.....