MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Is ordnance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

Article about: Is ordance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ? hi i read in the mirror hobbys sutch as stamp postcard modal plane and a few more have fallen fowl to the gameing and

?

Default Is ordnance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

Is ordance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

hi
    i read in the mirror hobbys sutch as stamp postcard modal plane and a few more have fallen fowl to the gameing and face book race of teens

do you think ordance collecting is the same ?

Just to add I mean I'n general as I know there are teen collectors here but are they few and far between ?

Default re: Is ordnance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

i am afraid that your fears are well founded

Default re: Is ordnance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

Being one of those gaming, facebooking teens I can say that they actually go hand in hand. If it weren't for WWII video games, I would not have developed an interest in militaria as early as I did. I also use facebook to display pictures of my collection.

I have to agree, though. It is a dying hobby within my generation. The way I see it, it means lower prices and more for me.

Default Re: Is ordnance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

I have been in the hobby 35 years now. This question has come up before. Prices have never really come down at all, they have just steadily climbed. Young blood is vital and PC games have actually helped create interest in WW2. I see this a lot at living history events I attend. Kids of 5 to 6 years old know what many of the weapons are, which is great. I am of the model making generation and that is what helped get me into all of this.

I think ordnance collecting has suffered a bit due to general ignorance of the law and restrictions imposed by the law.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: Is ordnance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

i cant stand facebook, dont call me old fashioned but i read books about as much as i play my ps3. books and war movies got me very interested. IMO sitting down and taking out a good book is in my opinion fun. but dont get me wrong, i do go on the laptop alot, either on my email or on the forum. i think the book i read that got me interested was a horrible history book.

515DT3D2F3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I have been in the hobby 35 years now. This question has come up before. Prices have never really come down at all, they have just steadily climbed. Young blood is vital and PC games have actually helped create interest in WW2. I see this a lot at living history events I attend. Kids of 5 to 6 years old know what many of the weapons are, which is great. I am of the model making generation and that is what helped get me into all of this.

I think ordnance collecting has suffered a bit due to general ignorance of the law and restrictions imposed by the law.

Cheers, Ade.
    Good points there Ade! Ordnance collecting has been hit with the almost the same daft and unecessary restrictions as deactivated weaponry. Restrictions with ordnance nowadays inc those that any inert round is illegal if it contains an armour piercing core, such restrictions seem pointless when the round is inert in the first place but its the way of the world i suppose. Prices sure have continued to rise especially for rare examples and ordnance tends to be viewed as lesser on the scale when compared to campaign medals and uniforms etc. I still have my collection of ordnance but admit to having slimmed it down a little over the past year or so mainly due to space reasons than economic ones. Its a fascinating field of collecting and one can learn as much from the round as the weapon that fired it and its a worthwhile field, but certainly the law hasnt helped in these matters. Regards Tim.

?

Good points ! Thanks for your comments !

Alot of my friend collector in Europe are around 20 years old but in the states they are older do not see too many young guys.

Chris