Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Our grandfathers and fathers and relatives in military service!

Article about: by Spitace41 Looks like he was in the Home Guard? Indeed and must be before he joined the navy. Great pic and a great family history you have (Col) James.

Here is Donald Ray Barnsley. 1920 - 2007. My 1st cousin 1x removed.

Don was Canadian and served in WW2 with the Canadian Ordnance Corps/Canadian REME. The pics of care of my cousin Len, seen here as a babe in arms. The small pic was taken in Antwerp in Nov 1944 and was published with this caption:

"Cfn. Lawrence Graham and Cfn. Don Barnsley (sitting on top of the Tank)doing repairs with the 4th. Armoured Troops Workshop, with the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (RCEME)while Cpl Lloyd Pearson (holding the progress board) and Capt. Otto Birley observe."

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

My Grandmother's brother, Jack Savage, enlisted in 1916 at the age of 38.
    He served in A Coy., 52nd. Battalion, 13th. Brigade, 4th. Division, AIF. Jack was killed by a shell in his first battle at Mouquet Farm, near Pozieres on 3rd. September, 1916.

His family was originally notified that he was wounded. This was changed to missing in action, then wounded in action, and finally, wounded and missing. A court of inquiry in 1917 found Jack and 93 other missing persons, to have been killed in action. His remains were discovered in 1927, and he was interred in the AIF burial ground at Flers.

Jack .jpg

Jack and his Section at Rifle Range Camp, Enoggera, Brisbane, before leaving for France.

Jack Savage and Section at Rifle Range Camp.jpg

This is a photo of my Dad and his platoon in Borneo, soon after the surrender. That's him in the middle row on the right hand edge of the flag as the viewer sees it.

12 Platoon.jpg
    12 Platoon, D Coy., 2/9th. AIF.

Cheers, Willie.

I wasn't sure whether to edit the above post, or put this photo in a new post. It's the same crew as above, with their helmets and kit.

12 Platoon, D Coy., 2/9th. AIF, making their way up through a bomb damaged Balikpapan at the landngs on 1st. July, 1945, as part of Operation Oboe 2.

12 Platoon, D Company, 2nd. Ninth Battalion, at Balikpapan.jpg

It's a bit hard to make out my father in the photo as he's further towards the back.

Cheers, Willie.

?

My Grandfather, KIA in March 1915 with the Black Watch in France, my father (circled) who served with 51 (Highland) Division through WW2 and my fathers medals.
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

My son, (L/Bdr. looking at the camera!!), currently serving with 1st Regt, Royal Horse Artillery.

The photo was taken as his unit was forming up to take part in the regiments "Freedom of the City of Sheffield Parade" earlier this year following their return from a recent tour of Afghan. (His second tour in 7 years service)

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 02-06-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Addition

?

Smile

My brother. (Cpl, 1DWR) in Northern Ireland, 1988ish!

I will eventually get a pic' of me posted on here of when I was in uniform...........A lonnnnnnnng time ago!

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: My brother is the one carrying the rifle!!
    Last edited by jimpy; 02-07-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Addition

Attachment 642871Here is a photo of my wife's uncle, Gordon Stackel , He was 19 and a tailgunner on a B17. They were flying a mission over Germany,when the Luftwaffe attacked. A shot came thru the turret penetrating his flak jacket and entered his lung.Fortunately another gunner was a med student thet helped him to survive. He was treated in England and remembers the worst part of it all was the " buzzbombs" The doctors told him to start smoking to exercise and strengthen his lung! My how things have changed. Gordon unfortunately passed away last year at age 88 ( and NOT from lung cancer)
    Last edited by krabbekrout; 02-08-2014 at 01:42 PM.

jwp
    ?

Found another pic of my dad amongst the old family photos, in this one he looks to be wearing an FS cap and cloth 78 div titles. John.hg0008b.jpg

It's quite a while ago since new material has been added to this thread.
    Is any shoe-box are album empty? Weren't there no more fathers or
    relatives in any of the Armed Forces from all over the world? I am sure
    there must be much more to show!

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast