Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Para Selection The Modern Australian Army

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I couldn't think where else to post this so I hope this is appropriate. Whilst researching a related subject I came accross the attached pic which raised a question tha

Default Para Selection The Modern Australian Army

Good afternoon gents,

I couldn't think where else to post this so I hope this is appropriate.

Whilst researching a related subject I came accross the attached pic which raised a question that I hope our Australian members might help with;

The picture shows Brig Cheryl Pearce of the Royal Australian Corps of Military Police during a visit by Camilla Duchess of Cornwall to the Corps.

Brig Pearce is clearly wearing parachute wings.

This caused me to start looking as in the British Army ( to my knowledge at this time) no female soldier has ever passed the selection course (P Company). For a little over ten years the course has been open to female soldiers and in 2005 Lt Jenny Hands RLC attempted but failed through injury.
    The course is physically demanding (been there, done that!) and is quite an acheivement to pass.

So, my question is; does the Australian Army have a similar selection process and have many female soldiers passed it?

The only information I have managed to find so far indicates that parachute training is open to any male or female aspirant who has a demonstrable requirement in their role and an apptitude for the training. I can find nothing about a selection process.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

PS Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the metal breast badge some in the picture are wearing is the Army Individual Readiness Notification badge?

RACMP.1.jpg
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

PS

Check out the Maj Gen with the SAS wings and the two blokes to his front left, what are they checking out?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Is it this badge you are looking at? as it's a qualification badge

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Is it this badge you are looking at? as it's a qualification badge
    Thanks Rene!

Yep, thats what I figured it was, the Army Individual Readiness Notification or AIRN badge but does anyone know the answer to my question about Australian pre-parachute selection?

Regards

Mark