Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Penal Battilions Did They Exist

Article about: Hi guys , a mate of mine is a mad buckle collector , we were talking the other night about these Penal Battilion Belt Buckles , i found a bit of info on another forum regarding these and the

Default Re: Penal Battilions Did They Exist

hi Ade, Boom splash, i grew up with these books i figured the stories were fictional but based in part on fact, how wrong can a guy be .still they are good books just for the tales. i think i will sit back on the sidelines untill i know what im talkin about .all the best Rob

Hi Rob, I think his stories started a LOT of people collecting! I think all the British colectors I know have read them. They are fun.

Fee free to post when ever you feel like it, that is what the forum is about. We are all here to learn and share.

Going back to the buckle, my take is they are postwar.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Rob, I think his stories started a LOT of people collecting! I think all the British colectors I know have read them. They are fun.

Feel free to post when ever you feel like it, that is what the forum is about. We are all here to learn and share.

Going back to the buckle, my take is they are postwar.

Cheers, Ade.
    Concur with Ade Rob , spent my teens reading Sven Hassel which probably got me so interested in the Eastern Front !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I have read them all at least twice! Compulsive reading !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

hi nick its nice to know im not the only one that likes these books but we have somewhat hijacked this gentlemans thread with my somewhat innacurate but well meant post so perhaps we should try to get it back on course,i am sorry i know very little about buckles but im sure someone on this forum will stand to and point him in the right direction.my appologies to ironcross1 for turning his question on its head and into a sven hassel discussion .all the best Rob

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Concur with Ade Rob , spent my teens reading Sven Hassel which probably got me so interested in the Eastern Front !

Same here. Got a full set of them on the book shelf. My late grandfather bought me my first SH books donkeys years ago! (To be read with a very large pinch of salt, as there are still discussions on-going as to whether or not SH actually did serve in the last war let alone any of the characters in his books!)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Intersting comments Ade on Sven Hassel there has been much debate on this Gentlemans War Activaties I thought i would share this link with you

Studly

SVEN HASSEL's photo gallery

I would like to hear what Mr. Evans has to say about this subject. : )

You would think that penal battalions, both full and semi, would be issued belt buckles from their respecting branch of service, i.e. heer buckles for heer penal units and SS buckles for Waffen-SS penal units. I'm not really convinced that they would make a special buckle specfically for penal soldiers but then again, I haven't really done any research into this and we all know how much the Germans love variety in their equipment. haha

after reading and re-reading posts on this buckle,,,i am of the opinion they are post-WW II manufacture

Hi Studly, thanks I have actually seen it before.

That so called photo record is complete fantasy. Some of these are even well known photos. The unit never existed.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast