Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

People judgmental about your collection?

Article about: There will always be people who do not understand and will create problems or pester people over it. Morris

Default Re: People judgmental about your collection?

Quote by big ned View Post
    I can't for the life of me understand why they would think that
    Gunny.....
    How did you know about my Hetzer? it's dead handy for nipping to the shops though!....

I've also responded by saying "These are war-trophies brought home by our grandfathers...do you prefer they be trashed, instead?"
    That ended that particular conversation, lol...
    I can't abide ignorance!
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    "These are war-trophies brought home by our grandfathers...do you prefer they be trashed, instead?"
    I like it!

In the years following the war, veterans who had businesses at times would display there war souvenirs in their business. It was not an uncommon sight. As a youngster collecting, veterans found it interesting that I wanted to collect the stuff they picked up overseas. It was not until the late 70's that there was a change in attitude. I think much of this came from how historical events were portrayed in film and television programing. In today's world, if someone ever makes a negative remark, which does not happen often as my collection is not available to just anyone, I will tell them it is better that I collect their items than if they won and were collecting our items.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Good old lemmy.

I've not had people make comments towards me being a "nazi" or "racist" for collecting some reich items.
    However, I do have people in my ear saying how its a waste of money and basically junk.

No-one knows about our collection except a few family members and i'd like to keep it that way until i have a house with more security.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    How did you know about my Hetzer? it's dead handy for nipping to the shops though!....
    Good for parking I assume, you just squash anything in the way, or blast it into oblivion.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Interesting responses, and thank you for them. I just feel in someways I shouldn't have to hide my collection away, on the other hand I keep the better items in my office.

It was not until the late 70's that there was a change in attitude. I think much of this came from how historical events were portrayed in film and television programing
    Very interesting insights, Bob! I couldn't agree more with that statement, the more people are "educated" by the entertainment industry the further they stray away from actual objective truths... seeing everything in a highly subjective black and white, no gray area and no depth or room to discuss or wonder.

Which is why I keep my collection of Fuzzy Wuzzy heads on pikes and Ears from Nam totally private.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast