Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Places of interest in Crete?

Article about: I'm off to Crete next week for 10 days. Any advice of where to go to see some WWII historical sites or locals with the knowledge to show me around?

?

Default Places of interest in Crete?

I'm off to Crete next week for 10 days.

Any advice of where to go to see some WWII historical sites or locals with the knowledge to show me around?

?

Default Re: Places of interest in Crete?

One of my favorite fantasies is to find a double decal FJ helmet hidden in a cave or old building on Crete.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    One of my favorite fantasies is to find a double decal FJ helmet hidden in a cave or old building on Crete.
    That's HOT! LOL.

Hi Ben,

You must try the old airfield at Maleme where the bitterest of fighting took place. Go to the German cemetery and Fallschirmjager monument atop Hill 107, it overlooks Maleme airfield, and it takes little imagination to see Ju 52's crash landing there on fire and others spiralling into the sea, the death toll there was horrendous and Hitler never deployed his Fallschirmjagers in such numbers again such was the devastation caused on this spot.

The area and fine panoramic views from this cemetery are very evocative and rarely matched by any other battlefield other than perhaps Little Big Horn that i have seen. If you go down the hill and past the airfield to the beach, you'll find the remnants of M.G. nests that saw some violent hand to hand combat during the invasion.

Another interesting place to visit is the NATO harbour and nearby Allied cemetery at Chania (Hania). All these sites are well sign posted, but a decent tourist map is worth buying when you arrive. Enjoy your holiday Ben, you won't go far wrong if you visit these places and just overlook the battle ground with the heat on your neck, the sea breeze in your face and the chorus of crickets chirping constantly, it's like you were there!!

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Yes!!! The Naval museum.It has some good artefacts and photographs and only costs a couple of Euros to get in.I think it is open from 9-4pm.Let us know how you get on Ben