Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please give me your opinions/advice!

Article about: Hello guys. I'm looking for some collecting advise and I've been thinking. Right now im still into buying a whole load of this then a whole load of that, but I kind of want to start collecti

?

Default Please give me your opinions/advice!

Hello guys.

I'm looking for some collecting advise and I've been thinking. Right now im still into buying a whole load of this then a whole load of that, but I kind of want to start collecting in specific and by that I mean, sell my whole collection and start collecting things from the SturmAbteilung. Now this would mean I'd have to get rid of my emotional ties with some items here, but theres just so much different stuff to collect and I kind of want to concentrate on one branch.

It would mean a lot to me if you guys would share your opinions or advice on things like this, it'd obviously be a big decision and I've thought it over, but I'm still not certain.

Thanks,
    -Bas

I have the same problem. I am staying in the ww2 genre but like collecting from every country. The advantage is you have no shortage of items to find. The disadvantage is you will never be an expert in any one area. The best you can hope for is to be somewhat knowledgeable about many things. I can't help myself. I walk into a militaria show looking for a third reich sword and end up seeing a British enfield "I must have".. What is a boy to do with such lack of restraint for all of it?.. I feel your pain.

Just start buying your chosen area and if it feels right then start to shift the other items. I used to buy pretty much anything military, then became more focused on a single theater of war, then a single country/nation and within that specific types of items, though to be honest I still buy outside that as and when I see items that appeal.

I do try to remain focused as much as possible, but its not an issue for me as different things appeal at different times.

If you are emotionally attached to items that are not from within your family then I suggest seeing a doctor about that!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    I have the same problem. I am staying in the ww2 genre but like collecting from every country. The advantage is you have no shortage of items to find. The disadvantage is you will never be an expert in any one area. The best you can hope for is to be somewhat knowledgeable about many things. I can't help myself. I walk into a militaria show looking for a third reich sword and end up seeing a British enfield "I must have".. What is a boy to do with such lack of restraint for all of it?.. I feel your pain.
    Yeah, thats pretty much how I feel. I guess its just a bit of a matter of self control and what not. There's nothing wrong with collecting from every single country but after a while, at least in my experience, the collection starts to look disorganized/messy.

At least luckily for me my collection isnt of that big a size yet, I don't have that many items although the problem with some of the bits and bobs are selling it. The few items that I have that arent as desirable will be troublesome getting rid of.

Yes I need a doctor. I'm about to start naming my items. My enfield "Simon" and my mosin "Boris" both agree I may have a problem.

?

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Just start buying your chosen area and if it feels right then start to shift the other items. I used to buy pretty much anything military, then became more focused on a single theater of war, then a single country/nation and within that specific types of items, though to be honest I still buy outside that as and when I see items that appeal.

I do try to remain focused as much as possible, but its not an issue for me as different things appeal at different times.

If you are emotionally attached to items that are not from within your family then I suggest seeing a doctor about that!
    Haha thanks for the advice, Jerry. It's more of a case of being ''If I sell this item I'll never see it again'' type of thing.

I'm just glad to see I'm not alone. I wish us both luck

Quote by Gimmie View Post
    Haha thanks for the advice, Jerry. It's more of a case of being ''If I sell this item I'll never see it again'' type of thing.
    I do know what you mean which is why I first suggested buying your new focus and only then start to shift the other stuff and see how it feels. I have parted with items that ?I will never get again, but uuuurrrrrrggggghhhhh, I got other items instead so!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Bas,

We have all gone through what you are experiencing, Buyer and seller remorse, regret, call it whatever. It boils down to basically what you are happy with. Along with many other's I collected anything Olive Drab and then some, well, nearly 50 years later I had to sit back and do a reality check, where am I going with this collection? It was just a bunch of neat stuff to have, but only meant something to me and very little to others, (other than collectors). I started to move a large portion of my collection and focus on US Army infantry unit crests and 2 units that were very dear to my heart in which I served in both, the 187th Infantry Regiment (Rakkasans) and the Berlin Brigade. I also dabble in a few other areas but I tried to remain focused on these two.

As far as getting rid the less desirable pieces that you call them, I would suggest bundling them together with something else, for example you have a field jacket and a canteen cover, the canteen cover is not in the best of condition so you throw that in with the field jacket to "sweeten the pot" so to say. You may lose money on one item but will make more on other items that you sell. I always throw in a couple of extra patches or ribbons if they relate to the primary object I am getting rid of.

I still have a long way to go, at one time I had 1500 uniforms, That is down now to about 600 but I still want to move a lot of these items as they do not fit in my collecting interests anymore and I also have to take into consideration my family, I don't my collection to be a burden on them and I don't want someone to take advantage of them when they go to sell the stuff.

I have already agreed with my son that my Third Reich collection of daggers and other items will be his to keep and do with what he wants, I only hope that when he decides that he needs to sell an item he will find someone reputable who again will not take advantage and give him less than what the item is worth.

In addition to my collection I also have to start thinking about receiving my fathers collection of Militaria. When he passes I will have to travel across country to load up what will be almost another 1000 uniforms and other things he has collected over the years..

When you start thinning out the collection, get rid of those things not important to you first and build up to those "emotionally tied items" It is difficult and you will have regrets at first but once you have let it part, let it go and focus on your new collecting field.

Hope this helps.. Best of luck

Smitty

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post

Hope this helps.. Best of luck

Smitty
    Thank you for taking the time to write me some advice. Especially from someone that experienced. It means a lot to me, Smitty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast