Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Police raid collector ...

Article about: I looked up the chap online and I see they did dream up some charges! plus several stories/blogs about how stupid the whole thing was. I wonder if he was ever convicted?turns out he was well

Default Re: Police raid collector ...

I looked up the chap online and I see they did dream up some charges! plus several stories/blogs about how stupid the whole thing was. I wonder if he was ever convicted?turns out he was well liked at the club and around town.the club is WHERE THE LOCAL POLICE TRAINED !!! so they knew him, he even became friends with charleton heston,perhaps the most famous pro gun american ever(NRA) they made charleton a honorary member.showed a pic of the napoleonic cannon lane owned,with heston. ofcourse these bumbling morons took that !!! DUH !!

Pretty sad none of the local cops that use to shoot with him,did not come to his defense. given the circumstances and all the exagerations taking place by the media and police.........I am sure he was probably framed!

good one Ian........two short planks doesnt describe it! never heard that one before.

the same holds true here in the states, skypilot. some are well familiar with small arms and the laws,others dont have a clue and are about the equivelent of barney fife,from the old mayberry rfd show....ha,ha,ha!

there is no doubt some clueless barney fife clown was in charge of that raid over there......no doubt at all

Quote by command450 View Post
    what I cant believe is how brainless this whole raid was.whomever was in charge of this raid is a bumbling idiot. a complete waste of valuable resources and time. come on, a bomb robot !!! its almost like they just wanted something to do. I mean......good lord, robots for a 62 year old chairman of a rifle club,that everyone knew got into collecting DEACTIVATED stuff.

all they had to do is knock on the door and talk to the chap.they didnt need all this fan fare,with guys wearing camo,like they are raiding a terrorist camp.

then you got the idiot that wrote the story,andy dolan.

His neighbours knew he enjoyed taking part in battle re-enactments.
    But they had no idea Graham Lane kept enough weapons in his modest home to start a real war.
    Police raided the semi-detached property on a quiet residential estate and left with an arsenal including missiles, grenades, rocket launchers, shells - and even a cannon.

hes deliberately smearing the ole boy,with no proof at all. heck I dont see anywhere,the police "SAID" he has REAL missiles and grenade launchers!!
    Well said there mate!! It just beggars belief the cost of that pointless police operation. Pathetic waste of time penalising the innocent as is the case in the UK now. God theyd have a heart attack if they saw the deactivated 8-inch (203mm) artillery shell ive got here by the fireplace!!! Regards, Tim.

?

About two yrs ago, my eldest son had a run in with two local beat cops and was supposed to attend the local nick to make a statement, long story short he didnt, Two firearms trained officers knocked on the door one night, fully rigged with glock sidearms, to make sure he attended the next day, whilst sitting down they happened to notice my collection of helmets and other bits in the corner,then one of them spotted my 1918 mills bomb and asked about it, i told him that it was completely inert and that you could buy them at most arms fairs, he wasnt happy and said that he would be taking it to be examined by the bomb squad and i most probably wouldnt be getting it back, being ex job i suppose im a little less worried by most about what the police think they can get away with, to prove a point i took the grenade, handed it to him and as i did so pulled the pin out, he stood there fixed on the spot and told me to replace the pin, i took the grenade from him and let the handle fly off, i said if this was fully armed with any type of explosives we wouldnt be here now and told them both that i wasnt exactly happy about two fully armed police officers coming around regarding something as mundane as a witness statement to a fight that my son had seen and tried to prevent but got shoved against a wall by the two officers on the beat, they wernt happy but i knew that to attend an ordinary enquiry they should leave the weapons in the vehicle safe, now i would normally accept that its part of the job and they were being cautious as to the grenade, but their total ignorance regarding this ie collectors in militaria annoyed me, i was firearms trained so i know some of the absolute idiots that the force allowed to use weapons and believe me if youd seen some of the downright dangerous antics some of these guys get up to, you wouldnt trust them with a biro, example, Special branch officers playing table tennis with their loaded Smith and Wessons whilst a supergrass was allowed to " have a go " It defies common sense

Hey dave,you should have went .......................*with a loud and thunderous voice* BLAAAAAM!!!!! after you pulled the pin !!

that would have been funny!

?

Well i did think about it but they were armed and might not have seen the funny side, it doesnt do to push your luck too much, but i think i made my point and i think they realised they might have overstepped the rules re carrying of weapons

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    A similar thing happened to myself last year, a box containing deacts burst open during the post and the contents were siezed by the police even though they knew fine well that they were deactivated and fully legal. I was actually at the FedEx depot whilst the police were removing them with the certificates that were sent seperatly in my possession but they werent having any of it. I got them back a few weeks later when the weapons has been fully examined by someone with the knowledge on older firearms. It was quite a worrying experience to be honest as part of me was expecting to end up having my house raided by armed officers under the orders of some idiot who's trying to stop gun crime

Its not the first time its happened, look up Michael Shepherd and what happened to him.

The people handing out the orders are either too scared, or too stupid to deal with the real firearm crime so they instead target the innocent and law abiding collectors just to make it look like are doing their jobs. Sickens me to be brutally honest. Not to mention the press dressing up stories......

Thanks

Danny
    Danny I am glad I live in the U.S. In my state you can own a machine gun with a class 3 permit, which is not hard to get as long as you are not a felon, in fact you can go right down to Wal Mart and buy guns here with just a background check that takes 5 minutes. Have several firearms myself, well show some day if I get brave enough to post them... Uh Thompson Sub-Gun and Heckler & Koch USC to mention a couple.

Mike

I've never rated the police when it comes to firearms. They are just a bunch of trigger-happy a*******s. But when it comes to neighbours reporting other neighbours for having stocks of firearms it really DOES have to be checked out. The average person in the street knows nothing of deactivated weapons and wouldnt be able to tell the difference bewtween a welded up piece of junk and a proper shooter.

We live in very dangerous times, and it would be totally irresponsible not to report someone for having a stock of weapons. Just imagine if someone had an arsenal of guns and told neighbours that they were just deactivated junk, and then later went on the rampage with them. You cannot just expect PC Plod to take someone's word for it that a gun has been chopped. It is very unfortunate for collectors, but it is something that sadly goes hand in hand with collecting guns and ordnance.

I once had a Maxim Mg08 taken off me by Cheshire Police. It was put in a cell at Chester Police HQ for safe keeping while I arranged for Ryton Arms to go and collect it for deactivation. It had no lock and the barrel had been slotted (by me) but Cheshire Police tried to claim it could have been used to shoot down a Jumbo Jet. So I have been there, and I know the problems that collecting causes. But it is far better to err on the side of caution rather than have another massacre on our hands.

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I've never rated the police when it comes to firearms. They are just a bunch of trigger-happy a*******s. But when it comes to neighbours reporting other neighbours for having stocks of firearms it really DOES have to be checked out. The average person in the street knows nothing of deactivated weapons and wouldnt be able to tell the difference bewtween a welded up piece of junk and a proper shooter.

We live in very dangerous times, and it would be totally irresponsible not to report someone for having a stock of weapons. Just imagine if someone had an arsenal of guns and told neighbours that they were just deactivated junk, and then later went on the rampage with them. You cannot just expect PC Plod to take someone's word for it that a gun has been chopped. It is very unfortunate for collectors, but it is something that sadly goes hand in hand with collecting guns and ordnance.

I once had a Maxim Mg08 taken off me by Cheshire Police. It was put in a cell at Chester Police HQ for safe keeping while I arranged for Ryton Arms to go and collect it for deactivation. It had no lock and the barrel had been slotted (by me) but Cheshire Police tried to claim it could have been used to shoot down a Jumbo Jet. So I have been there, and I know the problems that collecting causes. But it is far better to err on the side of caution rather than have another massacre on our hands.
    Well said Harry at last a sensible comment !! Yes on the surface many here probably think the Cops have gone over the top with this one but at this stage it isn't known what the information was or whether this guy is on the level despite what he's saying , do you want to risk another Hungerford or the Cumbria Taxi driver ?? Or is it better for the cops to check things out !! My work history is ex Army , ex Cops so i have quite a bit of experience in this area , 15 years ago in my force area an incident took place where a council worker was shot dead at someones house during an inspection , info suggested that this guy had firearms and explosives but was a bit of a collector etc etc so a decision was made that no armed cops or bomb disposal would be on hand or visit / raid him first as in this present case , this resulted in an innocent working bloke being shot dead and the subsequent house search revealed the whole place was wired up with PE !!

Which way do you want it gentlemen !!

The other thing is there are many ex cops and serving cops me included on this forum who might agree with some of the sentiments expressed in general but could well take it as a slight with some of the comments made , " afraid of gun crime and criminals with guns etc etc " next time you are in the smoke pay a visit to the Police memorial near Horseguards and have a count of all the Cops shot dead on duty protecting the community the majority of which in the UK were killed by armed suspects whilst they themselves were unarmed.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I fully agree with your comments concerning the "scared of criminals who are armed", etc and to those who make such comments i say this, the normal beat copper is sent to all manner of situations throughout the day, people dont realise that it could result in injury or death but its part of the job, they are not scared of gun crime or the criminals who use them but they do have a healthy respect for them and are cautious when walking into situations, you would be a fool not to, i have been shot at, stabbed and set on fire and at that time all we had was a truncheon to defend ourselves with, later i was firearms trained and only drew my weapon once in a domestic situation that went badly wrong due to poor information and poor command decisions, so i do accept that the operation that started this thread was neccesary but i think it could have been handled with more diplomacy and a less full scale assault that you would normally associate with taking down a terrorist cell, the police will always bear the brunt of public opinion but to invite it in such a manner smacks of poor command and ill informed intel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12