Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Provenance - Added Value

Article about: Hi guys, During a recent negotiation for some items, a question came up that I would like to ask. I as well as everyone else love paperwork with an item and I am willing to pay more for that

Default Provenance - Added Value

Hi guys,

During a recent negotiation for some items, a question came up that I would like to ask. I as well as everyone else love paperwork with an item and I am willing to pay more for that, that being said, what type of value % would you add to the value of the item if it came from a non historical figure? I ask because I recently spoke with a guy that had the glider pilot grouping pictured below and he valued the items at around $1000 - I was thinking more around $500. When I asked him what he wanted he said $5,500 because we know who it belonged to. I almost spit my coffee out! Needless to say, I didn't even offer him a number, but just wondering everyone's opinions.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

CBH
    ?

I think he simply doesn't want to sell the group , so he gives an outrageous price .

The whole thing about collecting this crap is it worth what your willing to pay , not a penny more .

If the group was attached to a famous flyer or some other notable it might come with a premium .

In my opinion, provenance is highly important with personality items. Common issue items, be they rare or not, is not that important. Documented proof of the identity of a soldier who owned or liberated his goods is nice to have but for me does not add any great value to such things.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Provenance certainly does increase the value of an item, and it needn't have belonged to a personality either. An example at the lower end of the scale... an unnamed British Military medal (MM) is worth considerably less than a named and properly inscribed item.

Quote by CBH View Post
    I think he simply doesn't want to sell the group , so he gives an outrageous price .

The whole thing about collecting this crap is it worth what your willing to pay , not a penny more .

If the group was attached to a famous flyer or some other notable it might come with a premium .
    Funny thing was he approached me and wanted to sell it. He told me for about 5 mins how amazing of a deal it was - I wanted to be respectful so I just listened quietly. I was thinking huh... for $5,500 would I rather have some general issue goggles or a black SS visor. haha.

Provenance can certainly add value to the item and would add a bit more for a more famous person. Papers from more famous persons are often created and are fake. It is often tough to tell if the items all stayed together or was put together and a story created. Pay for the value of the items and not the story. Can always throw in a bone for the paperwork.

John O.

CBH
    ?

Yes a named item is worth more generally , but not five times the unnamed ones price .

And metals isn't what we are talking about . But as I stated above , it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay .

Every thing comes with a story , and they are not easily resold .