Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Question about Surrendering SS Officer

Article about: Just thought about this the other day as watching a U tube version of "Has everybody gone nuts" at the Tangermunde bridge I have seen a photo as far back as the fifth grade of the

Default Question about Surrendering SS Officer

Just thought about this the other day as watching a U tube version of "Has everybody gone nuts" at the Tangermunde bridge I have seen a photo as far back as the fifth grade of the same SS officer giving up or I am sure it is as the facial features match. The U tube video brings it to light as I believe the same officer he is wearing a Visor and Plain tree first pattern smock with something under it about stomach level wearing Some sort of pack In the video at the bridge he is being searched by US personnel. What is it that is being taken off of him with the strap? this does not show in the picture of him. It appears to be a camera? As it is a small device. I don't know if any of you have seen this or the picture I mention. I have always wondered of what unit he was and what happened to him after the war no doubt would have surrived the war as he is taken into custody on the US side of the bridge across the Elbe. Just curious as to if any else has wondered about it also. timothy

Screenshot?

I think you are correct in assuming it's a camera. It appears too small to be binoculars. Here's the link go to 3.00 into the video and you will see the scene. WW2: "Has Everyone Gone Nuts?" - The Tangermünde bridge, Germany (May 10 1945) - YouTube

Regards,

Lance

Thanks Militariaone I kind of thought so if you look at the old picture of him standing undoing his belt he has a map case and some weird type of pouches. I can't remember where I found the picture on the net it is featured in some old books. "SS officer surrenders to US troops" on the Elbe. It surfaced here while back during the anniversary of the Elbe meet up with USSR and US forces. Maybe. someone will come along with some more insight it has been a source of wonder in my last 60 some years. timothy