Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommended "lock down" Reading.

Article about: Eye of the Storm by Peter Ratcliffe, from his childhood in Salford (Manchester) to becoming the regimental Sergeant Major Of the SAS. Included in the book is Ratcliffe's involvement in the F

Default Recommended "lock down" Reading.

20934664._SY475_.jpg
    Eye of the Storm by Peter Ratcliffe, from his childhood in Salford (Manchester) to becoming the regimental Sergeant Major Of the SAS. Included in the book is Ratcliffe's involvement in the Falklands campaign, his service during the first gulf war and his thoughts about the doomed Bravo two zero mission. Well written and interesting from start to finish.

51FBEMH9SBL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    Soldier five by Mike Coburn, Coburn was the new Zealand member of the Bravo two zero mission in northern Iraq in early 1991. The book tells the true story of the patrol without any of the half truths and embellishments of the books by Ryan and McNab. The book also goes into detail about the authors time in the New Zealand SAS. Again another very interesting read.

I will also suggest a book.
    Marine.jpg
    A memoir following a man's career throughout the pacific and also explains as to why he joined the marines. Also, the book features a couple of maps and pictures from the time frame. I've read this book so many times and really do highly recommend it.

I'm embarrassed to say i still haven't read your books mate.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I'm embarrassed to say i still haven't read your books mate.
    I wouldn't bother if I were you Paul... absolute crap!

Read the reviews on Amazon!

It's a work of fiction, rather than a strictly historical book, but I can thoroughly recommend this one. 'The Machine Gunners' by Robert Westall. This is my copy, which I've had since I was in primary school. It definitely had a formative part to play when it came to my interest in the Second World War.

IMG_2609[1].jpg

A plot summary:

''Chas McGill has the second-best collection of war souvenirs in Garmouth, and he desperately wants it to be the best. When he stumbles across the remains of a German bomber crashed in the woods - its shiny, black machine-gun still intact - he grabs his chance. Soon he's masterminding his own war effort with dangerous and unexpected results.''

If you can find a copy, I recommend giving it a read. It's meant for young adults, but having reread it recently, I can confirm that it's just as entertaining for grown men (or children masquerading as grown men, at any rate).

Regards, B.B.

TWS
    ?

Currently in the midst of Case White and Retreat From Moscow is in the chute.
    Highly recommend Forczyk's book. It is the most detailed account of the German invasion of Poland I have read to date. It blows apart a lot of myths and generalizations about that campaign.

Case White.jpgRetreat From Moscow.jpg
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

4175415.jpg
    The Mighty Eighth by Roger A Freeman. This is a must read if you haven't already done so, one memorable account was of a B17 crew member pissing on a fire after a Flak hit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast