Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Rembering Old Dealeers

Article about: Would like to see what the interest is in old dealers in the days for you older collectors Like Globe militaria, Unique imports, NCHS National capitol sales, Der Gaulter etc I have posted so

Default Re: Rembering Old Dealeers

Yes Glenn I knew Eldon Leasure used to buy mail order from him in 80's and at Tulsa OK gunshow I remember that Top Hat was his trademark I couldn't think for the life of me his name. He always seemed to have good stuff and knew his business. Thanks timothy

There was a part time dealer in Chicago in the 1960's named Cliff Burton. He sold out of his house and also set up at gun shows. Cliff had a lot of nice material but also mixed in fakes. He was well known for smoking reproduction medals and selling them as the real thing. He was one of the early distributors of the Atwood daggers. I bought a couple from him and discovered they were fakes and parts daggers. I brought them back for a refund in trade and he would do nothing. Needless to say, that was the end of a relationship in which I had spent a lot of money over the years.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

i miss Ralph Shattuck

I remember Cliff Burton too. He would sometimes set up at the Seven Mile Fair. Like Bob said, you never knew what to expect on his table. Might be some great original thing or it might be a totally hinked up piece of fake trash. It was all the same to him-he'd sell it to anyone with the money.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

One item I always regretted not buying from Cliff was a Heer Nebelwerfer officer's tunic with an attached cloth German Cross in Gold. Old Cliff never went in to faking up uniforms back in that era. He died of a heart attack while dancing with his daughter at her wedding in the early 70's.
    BOB

Ralph Shattuck wasn't he known as Mr. Lugar? I remember him having two tables of Lugars at Tulsa GS in the 70's I didn't know Cliff but his name does sound familiar he may have set up around Midwest as the items you guys describe sounds like the dealer I once knew at the Large Tulsa GS in the 70's largest show other than Great West out in CA. This guy I am thinking of had kind of a Northern accent and was short. and very redfaced always. timothy

?

correct! He was Mr. Luger
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Ha, i know the seven mile fair, its up by Kenosha area. I went there for the first time a year ago and it was just a what we call a "mexican flea market" just packed with crap. No militaria just mexican boots, rims, and dora backpacks....
    Ryan

Quote by Ryan B View Post
    Ha, i know the seven mile fair, its up by Kenosha area. I went there for the first time a year ago and it was just a what we call a "mexican flea market" just packed with crap. No militaria just mexican boots, rims, and dora backpacks....
    Ryan
    Ryan-
    You are far too young to have known the Seven Mile Fair when it was an amazing source for militaria. From the 1960's to 1980's, it was an amazing place. Located on the south side of Milwaukee and within 30 minute drive of Racine and Kenosha, it was located in a heavy population area. Of course, in those days, there was far more available material to buy with far fewer seekers of same. Times and prices have changed.
    As far as it goes with Cliff Burton, he did not travel further than Milwaukee for gun shows. He worked a normal job and sold militaria on the side.
    BOB

Pryo thanks for the info on Ralph yes that was him I remember he was also featured once in a old MAX catalog sitting in his mobile chair. I guess Cliff was not the dealer I was thinking of. Thanks timothy

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234