Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Resistance members in you're family?

Article about: Hey guys i was just thinking about the resistance movements that happened during ww2. My grandpa was in the dutch resistance and delivered all the supplys like bullets, resistance newspapers

Default Re: Resistance members in you're family?

She knows of my fascination for the waffen SS Langemarck.(she doesn't like it)
    I respect every man that fights to deffend his principles and ideals.
    In that perspective I do respect the resistance for the same reasons.
    I do not aprove the exactions they commited on eather side.

My grandfather on mothers side was about to finish his education as a engineer on the Danish naval base called "Holmen", when Denmark got occupied by T R forces. Because of that he had to make a lot of technical drawings. These had to be driven out of the Naval Base to be reviewed by some "inspectors", so that they could give him his marks of graduation. In between these drawings he put other drawings he had made, with drawings and schemes showing how to assemble some of the equipment dumped by the RAF to the resistance guys. He told me the Wehrmacht guards on the base of course did not have a clue about what actually was on some of these drawings. All drawings was logically related to different military/naval equipment in the first place. He also took part in sinking some of the ships on the base, Operation Safari. Operation Safari - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopĉdi That was his modest contribution. He finished his education there and worked there for 48 years. It was always a joy to go to work with him during school holidays.

My other grandfather was in German service of some kind. They never attended a family dinner together. I do not know what he did or where he went. What i do know for sure is that they are both rotating in their graves, watching the European "development" of our time.

Wow all of you have awesome stories!! Sorry for not responding for a while the computer was down.
    17 Year Old
    Heer 275th Infanterie Division Reenactor
    Currently restoring a 1939 DKW Rt100 3PS

My Grandfather's brother on my dads side was in some Greek resistance unit in the Kalamata area of Greece, all I have been told is that he killed a few Germans. Wish I could know more

Quote by WW2Hunter View Post
    My grandmother and her brother were resistance members.
    The main task of my grandmother was ammo transports and intel gathering.
    Her brother (my grand uncle) was one of the leaders of the resistance in the city of Louvain.(codename: Jan De kleermaker)
    He was nown to the Gestapo as "der Schnitter".
    He escaped from the gestapo, thanks to a verry brave girl(Hortense Daman).
    Hortense became involved in the Belgian Resistance when she was 13 after the Nazis had invaded Belgium in 1940. She began helping her brother François after he returned home after being a prisoner of war with his work with the Resistance and helping British servicemen evade capture. She mainly worked as a Courier which involved carrying messages, explosives and weapons beneath the upper layer in her cycle pannier whilst pretending to be carrying out grocery deliveries for her mother.
    On the 14 February 1944 the Gestapo raided the family home after someone had informed on the family's resistance work, Hortense was arrested along with her father and mother and they were taken to a local prison where they suffered interrogation and vicious beatings by the Gestapo and Belgian SS.Her brother and my grand uncle escaped over the rooftops. She was sentenced to death without trial and was moved to the Ravensbrück concentration camp in Germany with her mother. Whilst at Ravensbrück Hortense was subjected to experiments involving infecting her leg with gangrene (The German doctors deciding not to amputate her leg) and sterilisation.
    Whilst at Ravensbrück her life was saved by the actions of British secret agent Violette Szabo who was also a prisoner there.
    In 1946 Hortense married Sydney Clews who was a Staff Sergeant in the British Army and they eventually settled in Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire.
    There is a book about her experiances during the war. The book is called "Een kind in Oorlog"(dutch title) "A child in war" By Mark Bles.
    Where she tells about my grand uncle, but calling him by his codename.(Jan)
    He came back to the city when the german troops were withdrawing and got stopped by withdrawing german WH troops near Beauvechin(Bevekom).
    They let him go after checking his papers, convinced they were going to shoot him in the back, he continued on his bicycle and wet himself.
    His group prevented that the germans blew-up the bridges over the Dijle river in Louvain, 1944, while Brittish and Polish troops were aproaching the city.
    I loved listening to his story's about the war, not the heroic stuff you see in the movies, but about ordenary people doing what they tought was the right thing to do.
    I dedicate this short story in honor of my grand uncle and Hortense for what they did and what she did for my familly.

I once read a book many many years ago entitled "I Jan" which sounds very similar to your story, could this be one and the same? do you know if any books were written about your Great Uncle?

Regards, Phill

The only book where they talk about my grand uncle, that I know about, is "A child in war".
    My grand uncle has never seeked any glory or fame after the war, only the recognition that they fought for their country.
    He didn't like to talk a lot about that period, even after so many years. So I doubt that there was a book written about his life.( if you could send me the compleet title and publishers, I'll try to find out.)
    The thing he said to me and that I will never forget: I just did what I tought was the right thing to do.
    That's the main reason that I follow my instinct, my own thoughts and principles.
    You can follow orders but do so in good concience.

Thankyou Steven for your reply, I might have gotten myself confused, however i find your story intrigueing, i know so little about my familys history, as you say alot of people prefer not to talk about it at all, i imagine "a child at war" would be a fantastic read, i will try to find a copy,

All the best

My great father was a bartender/tobaccocist/grocerist in Totes,beetween Dieppe and Rouen,Normandie,during WW2.He was a very little man,about 5 feet tall.
    Some of you may have seen his Bar Tabac Epicerie "le café des cyclistes",on the main crossroad in Totes.
    Well,their child,my father was around 4,when a german soldier decided to steal him his baby toy,a wonderful and very expensive celluloid baby,my father was in complete love with.
    My great father,who had been POW for a couple of days before escaping,took all his courage.He had to face the tears of my father and the danger to fight the german authority.
    Never the less,he entered the kommandantur in Totes,asking for an interview with the main authority.
    Apparently,the german officer who ruled the place was a guy with something called a heart,and after the explanations of my great father,he gathered the troops in the kommandantur 's courtyard.After some investigation,the thief was identified.
    In front of all the troop,the german officer slaped the causer with energy.A moment after ,my father had recovered his loved toy..
    That's the only " act against the ennemy" completed by my family...
    My great father get smashed up by Brits drunked soldiers,but that's another story,hahahah!
    An old pic of the bar(on the left) is attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

A great story Seb

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thank you Nick!
    I remember the laughs of my great father he had while telling us the fight with the drunked English soldiers that wanted to steal wine in the grocery,around midnight...
    This time,his luck was gone and they were obviously much more stronger than him......
    The doctor was to say that it will be quicker to teach to walk to the plaster,ha ha ha !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast