Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Respect.

Article about: Just under two years ago I came across this forum completely by accident while doing some research. I had a look and joined up because although the forum was fairly small, the members, conte

?

Default Respect.

Just under two years ago I came across this forum completely by accident while doing some research. I had a look and joined up because although the forum was fairly small, the members, content and general atmosphere was very welcoming, friendly and comfortable. This was in direct contrast to other forums I'd been frequenting where the ambience had deteriorated somewhat and I no longer enjoyed the time spent there. I recognised many names here and knew this forum was a decent place in which to discuss my hobby with like minded people.

Unfortunately over recent months I've noticed and I know I'm not alone, a growing and rather disturbing trend whereby members seem to be driven by egos and attitude. This is simply not acceptable for the health of the forum.

Today I sat down and opened a thread and was quite frankly absolutely disgusted by the content contained within. A new member, on his opening post had asked for help with an item and also for help to post photos of said item. Instead of the members here welcoming this member with friendly advice and help as he had asked for, he was treated to a barrage of sarcastic replies and in one instance an insult. the only person who offered to help was a Moderator.

Is this acceptable behaviour from the members of this forum?
    To be blunt - NO.

I have no idea what instigated this response but I will make it perfectly clear right now that it will stop right now.

This forum is open to view across the world and we would like it to be seen as the place I described in my opening paragraph. We would like new members to join and participate in the discussions, to generate more income for the forum to enable it to evolve and continue being the success it already is. The behaviour exhibited today will not encourage new members to join if they think on their opening post they will be treated in such a disturbing way, why on earth should a new member be treated as such? Why should any member be treated as such?

This post is not to castigate those involved but merely to point out that it is beyond the code of conduct here on the forum and will not be tolerated. Every member here will treat others with respect, courtesy, manners and politeness regardless of their age, post count, length of time here or whatever else you use to gauge your responses. That is not to say harmless banter and mickey taking is not allowed, of course it is, banter between friends is how we generate the good natured feeling between members. Outright insults, sarcasm and pointless posts designed to stir things up are those which are not allowed. If there is a bandwagon going around the place, think before you jump on it.

In future, those who seem to think they're bit above everyone else and think they can treat other members with disdain and be downright rude, insulting, sarcastic and unpleasant will themselves be treated as such and unceremoniously kicked out, no matter how many posts they have or how long they've been here.

Todays society does not seem to promote civility, respect and tolerance for the people within it or for those who could be seen as outsiders. Treat people here in a manner with which you yourself would wish to be treated, if someone asks for help, offer it, if someone asks advice, give it but think about your response before you hit that submit button. If criticism is needed do it constructively. Encourage new members, don't put them off, help and offer advice to those who ask for or need it, don't dismiss them out of hand if they're new. There is absolutely no need for the rudeness which has been creeping in slowly.

If you have nothing constructive, helpful or informative to say then don't. Drop the egos and attitudes and learn to respect fellow members.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Default Re: Respect.

Well said, sir. That attitude you speak of which this forum is known for, that of civility and open sharing, is what drew me to this forum originally. I have enjoyed the banter, even when I don't have anything to say. I agree that I'd like to see it stay that way. Thank you for all you do to promote making this a good place to spend time, and learn, and hopefully help and share.

?

Well i can only speak for myself of course. I was one of the guys posting a comment: "This is an outrage" It was just meant a friendly humorous comment. I just wanted to see this helmet, and so did others.

I will say this though. I was highly suspicious about this post because of the lack of pics. I did not give any hints about it though. At least one other forum member had the same feeling and aired his thoughts. You can not blame people too much for this, IMO. Some strange things have been happening here lately. Scammers. I need not say more than this. Maybe people are a little "edgy" at the time.

I joined up in exactly the same way you did, and for the same reason. I have never treated any member with disrespect, at least never one that did not right out deserved it. I always try to help out where i can and answer to the best of my abilities. I do not see a trend in bad behavior here on forum. Maybe i am wrong. I am myself a Admin on a forum, that has nothing to do with collecting btw, so if i was in your and other admin seats, i would crack down on this behavior asap via PM's. Maybe you already do so.

?

There are scammers about it's true and of late they have been more prolific for whatever reason. That does not mean that every new member should be treated as guilty until proven innocent. It's also very worth while remembering that English may not be the first language of many members here, new or old and sometimes you need to read between the lines.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Thank for addressing this Adrian!
    When I joined this forum two years ago, I was only 14. I'm now 16, but that really doesn't change much. I joined because this place was welcoming, warm, friendly, and I could rely on you guys for any help I needed on my mission as a young man to preserve history. I, personally, still experience this nice feeling on here; but I see what others having been saying or doing to other new members of various age groups who have joined our community. Of course, like Adrian, I would rather not like seeing this happen, as I would have not liked it had that person been me. While many people just join, have a grand total of 2 or 3 posts just to value a couple of items and never log back on again, others are genuine collectors or enthusiasts, who are simply scared away by hostility. All I'll say, to do my part, is 'let's be careful'.
    Best Regards,
    Finn

?

I understand all of the above Adrian. I will keep this thread in mind in the future. We should absolutely preserve the good atmosphere.

Regards

Lars

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Just under two years ago I came across this forum completely by accident while doing some research. I had a look and joined up because although the forum was fairly small, the members, content and general atmosphere was very welcoming, friendly and comfortable. This was in direct contrast to other forums I'd been frequenting where the ambience had deteriorated somewhat and I no longer enjoyed the time spent there. I recognised many names here and knew this forum was a decent place in which to discuss my hobby with like minded people.
    Unfortunately over recent months I've noticed and I know I'm not alone, a growing and rather disturbing trend whereby members seem to be driven by egos and attitude. This is simply not acceptable for the health of the forum.
    Today I sat down and opened a thread and was quite frankly absolutely disgusted by the content contained within.
    A new member, on his opening post had asked for help with an item and also for help to post photos of said item. Instead of the members here welcoming this member with friendly advice and help as he had asked for, he was treated to a barrage of sarcastic replies and in one instance an insult. the only person who offered to help was a Moderator.
    Is this acceptable behaviour from the members of this forum?
    To be blunt - NO.
    I have no idea what instigated this response but I will make it perfectly clear right now that it will stop right now.
    This forum is open to view across the world and we would like it to be seen as the place I described in my opening paragraph. We would like new members to join and participate in the discussions, to generate more income for the forum to enable it to evolve and continue being the success it already is. The behaviour exhibited today will not encourage new members to join if they think on their opening post they will be treated in such a disturbing way, why on earth should a new member be treated as such? Why should any member be treated as such?
    This post is not to castigate those involved but merely to point out that it is beyond the code of conduct here on the forum and will not be tolerated.
    Every member here will treat others with respect, courtesy, manners and politeness regardless of their age, post count, length of time here or whatever else you use to gauge your responses. That is not to say harmless banter and mickey taking is not allowed, of course it is, banter between friends is how we generate the good natured feeling between members. Outright insults, sarcasm and pointless posts designed to stir things up are those which are not allowed.
    If there is a bandwagon going around the place, think before you jump on it.
    In future, those who seem to think they're bit above everyone else and think they can treat other members with disdain and be downright rude, insulting, sarcastic and unpleasant will themselves be treated as such and unceremoniously kicked out, no matter how many posts they have or how long they've been here.
    Todays society does not seem to promote civility, respect and tolerance for the people within it or for those who could be seen as outsiders. Treat people here in a manner with which you yourself would wish to be treated, if someone asks for help, offer it, if someone asks advice, give it but think about your response before you hit that submit button. If criticism is needed do it constructively. Encourage new members, don't put them off, help and offer advice to those who ask for or need it, don't dismiss them out of hand if they're new. There is absolutely no need for the rudeness which has been creeping in slowly.
    If you have nothing constructive, helpful or informative to say then don't. Drop the egos and attitudes and learn to respect fellow members.
    Another one that should be pinned Adrian!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Adrian. I fully endorse all these points.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

A shame that a second thread of this nature has had to be posted in recent months.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Well said Adrian ! The forum is a great place too be and deserves respect ...

Kind regards
    Alex