Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Restaurants w tchotchkes on the wall...

Article about: Hello, everyone! I hope this thread find you well and enjoying your Monday... I am not sure if this is the case elsewhere in the world, but in the past 10 or more years, the U.S. has seen an

Default Restaurants w tchotchkes on the wall...

Hello, everyone!

I hope this thread find you well and enjoying your Monday...

I am not sure if this is the case elsewhere in the world, but in the past 10 or more years, the U.S. has seen an explosion of restaurants (TGI Fridays, Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Chilies, Hooters, etc.) that decorate by nailing random small toys, knickknacks, trinkets, kitsch, etc. on the walls.

I ate at a mom-and-pop restaurant (not one of the chains I mentioned earlier) this past weekend that subscribed to that particular design scheme. My pictures really do not do this place justice... while it wasn't the cleanest, it was packed and the food was great... The bar was also well stocked !

To my shock, this is what I found:

A spy shot of the restaurant... Is it just me, or does all the stuff hanging from the walls and ceiling make the place look a little unsanitary? ...ignore my gf eating. She'd kill me if she found out I posted this picture on the internet...downsized_0212121700.jpg

Gas mask I found on the way to the bathroom...
    downsized_0212121414.jpg

Red cross flag over the entrance to the kitchen. It certainly looked authentic... like something that would be at a medic's station somewhere near the front. Too bad it was above the kitchen door... I bet the thing is infused with the smells and airborne food particles from the kitchen. To the right there are also various soft caps wedged above the cash register. I saw what looked like a Pre-WWII soviet cap... I do not know the name of it, but it comes to a peak, and had a red enamel star ontop of a red star made of felt as a backing... Edit: a quick google search tells me it was a budionovka.
    downsized_0212121701.jpg

I've saved the best for last... directly above the bar I found these: To the right of the jet/helicopter helmets, there is a WWII Japanese helmet. Liner is all there, but it looks like the stuffing from one of the pads got ripped out (loose stuffing is still in the helmet all tangled up in the liner). To the right of the red uniform is a U.S. Office of Civil Defense helmet... to the right of that is a WWI American doughboy helmet with rank chevrons painted at the front.
    downsized_0212121702.jpg

I was also able to spot a U.S. M1 steel pot with a unique decal on the front, but it was directly over a family eating their dinner. I didn't want to stand over them to take a picture.

Obviously there are other bits of militaria in the pics I took... but I only know about the WWI and WWII stuff. Feel free to point anything else out!

Sorry about the poor quality cell phone pics!

Has anyone else out there spotted militaria at restaurants like this?

CHEERS!

Default Re: Restaurants w tchotchkes on the wall...

That is a very nice place to have a meal.
    Thank you for posting this.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

What a bizzare looking restaurant !! How was the food ??

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

KSH
    ?

Interesting place for sure, healthy sanitary conditions or not

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

I like the Zulu spears.

Damn! Was this in NY?? I was there last year, I could have paid a visit!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Damn! Was this in NY?? I was there last year, I could have paid a visit!
    This restaurant is on the border between New York and Vermont. Wayyyy upstate from New York City.

The food was excellent, btw. I had a thick, freshly cooked cheese burger on an artisan bun that was cooked well and piled high with crisp veggies.

?

Well There is a resturant near I live that has a luftwaffe engine as a table outside.

Pat

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    The food was excellent, btw. I had a thick, freshly cooked cheese burger on an artisan bun that was cooked well and piled high with crisp veggies.
    A nice original example I hope- and not too 'salty'?

Mat

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I had a thick, freshly cooked cheese burger on an artisan bun that was cooked well and piled high with crisp veggies.
    I'm now strangely hungry for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast