Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

The rigours of flying during the Second World War

Article about: Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen I was out wandering around this interweb thingy (as one is wont to do) and stumbled across this: Link: And When Nature Calls To be honest, I'd nev

Default The rigours of flying during the Second World War

Good Evening / Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I was out wandering around this interweb thingy (as one is wont to do) and stumbled across this:

Link: And When Nature Calls

To be honest, I'd never really dwelled on the nature's needs, but I found it fascinating as well as humourous.

Below is a Urinal Tube - oddly enough just sold...

Cheers
    Tim

filler 2.jpgfiller 1.jpg

Dare I say this is a crappy thread ?

The horror, the horror.......
    Regards,

Steve.

LOL

The de Havilland Mosquito had one of these funnels, it was connected to a flexible tube that led to a small tank under the seat, I think. It was only for urine and only for the pilot, the navigator had nothing and had to hold it in until they returned from the mission.

Regards

Richard

Lancaster Bomber's had the ELSAN toilet; which they used to empty when over their target. The Germans actually lodged a complaint about this practice.

Interesting topic.

The Japanese were even worse, before the mission they would take a "plastic bag" with them. When came to the moment they would urinate into the bag, and throw it outside from the cockpit, unfortunately sometime the bag was not thrown properly and would "back fire" at the pilot.

Another frequent situation was when the pilots were having stomach pain, they either have to hold or just release it ---- on top of the parachutes, or the seat.
    When the aircraft return, the mechanics had to clean the mess.

Regards,
    Taka

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Interesting topic.

The Japanese were even worse, before the mission they would take a "plastic bag" with them. When came to the moment they would urinate into the bag, and throw it outside from the cockpit, unfortunately sometime the bag was not thrown properly and would "back fire" at the pilot.

Another frequent situation was when the pilots were having stomach pain, they either have to hold or just release it ---- on top of the parachutes, or the seat.
    When the aircraft return, the mechanics had to clean the mess.

Regards,
    Taka
    Hmm - rather takes the meaning of having a 'faceful' to another level....