Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Riot shield question for UK members

Article about: I am hoping someone might know with a degree of certainty if it illegal or not to privately import and own a police riot shield in the UK?

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    Stefan, its not classed as a weapon so I am sure it will be ok, you can buy chain saws!
    But for how much longer... Also I know in some places it's illegal to own body armour, and unless you plan on talking it off in the middle of a firefight and start beating people with it it isn't an offensive weapon.

I am sure the powers that be will find an excuse to ban that as well lol
    Ben

?

British police riot shields can be seen at a few venues and it is not illegal to own them, but the ones we used were bloody awful, heavy and cumbersome, especially when linked together

Thanks chaps for the feedback...have taken the plunge and bought the riot shield
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Met Mark 1 Riot Shield - those were the days !

Panzersaurus-are you old enough to remember the 1997 North Hollywood bank robbery/shootout (or have seen the excellent movie '44 Minutes' based on the event)? That's why body armour is a controlled item in the non police/military world in many countries including Australia.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I can't see any reason why it couldn't be imported as there is no way it could be classed as an offensive weapon!...
    It was a bl**dy offensive weapon when we used it in Belfast!

I found a second riot shield used by Zmotoryzowane Odwody Milicji Obywatelskiej (ZOMO) and Milicji Obywatelskiej (MO) so bought that as well.They have been despatched from Poland so should be in the UK next week

3901488180.jpeg

3901488180_2.jpeg

3901488180_1.jpg

3901466643.jpeg

3901466643_2.jpeg

3901466643_1.jpg

Milicja Obywatelska (the Citizens' Militia or Civic Militia) was a state police institution in the People's Republic of Poland. It was created in 1944 by Soviet-sponsored Polish Committee of National Liberation, effectively replacing the pre-war police force. In 1990 it was transformed back into Policja.

Formed originally in response to the Poznań uprising of 1956, the ZOMO were motorised riot troops which played the most visible role in quelling demonstrations in 1980 and 1981, they were reduced in size by the early 1990s and renamed Preventive Units of the Citizens' Militia (Oddzialy Prewencji Milicji Obywatelskiej—OPMO).

poznan-1956_1789364b.jpg

Above: Poznań 1956

Both shields have arrived safely and without import problems

This is a photo of the shields in use by Polish MO during the martial law repression of Solidarity.

Screen Shot 2014-02-17 at 13.12.42.jpg

Good to hear they got to you ok.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast