Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Robin Hood Rifles??? Officers 1858 Cross Belt pouch

Article about: Well as some of you know, I do come across some oddball items, here is another odd one, I bought this sometime ago, I knew what it was when I bought it, but did not know the Regt. This came

?

Default Robin Hood Rifles??? Officers 1858 Cross Belt pouch

Well as some of you know, I do come across some oddball items, here is another odd one, I bought this sometime ago, I knew what it was when I bought it, but did not know the Regt. This came from an estate of someone that had worked ( part time) in a Museum that had closed several years earlier, with most of the collection sold off, a small "local" museum from up North.
    Sometime after I bought it I opened it up and found the card inside as shown in the photos

When I saw "Robin Hood Rifles" I kinda thought it a bit of a joke, however research has shown this was a Real Regt...I had no idea, so please do not take offense.

Here is another item I have had packed away for sometime, it really should have a better home as I will probably pack it away again..not really my thing, however as I have said many times, I was there and so was it..so here it is.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

RHR 001.jpgRHR 002.jpgRHR 003.jpgRHR 004.jpgRHR 005.jpgRHR 006.jpg

Another classy item from you Dean and good to see back here posting over the last few days. It does seem odd, but the Robin hoods were from that part of the UK from which the hero came so chose him as their name. Ade is from that area and will probably know more about them. Probably a fairly uncommonly seen item and with a known history very desirable I would guess to those that collect such as this. As with so many items, something I'd would be happy to add but no doubt way beyond my budget for an item to a regiment I do not collect to specifically. Even if it was to one of those I collect, recent experience has shown that wanting and buying are two different matters.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Jerry we both know that!!! Unlike many others, I will take a chance on many items, I cannot tell you how many times I have been burned with fakes, or I have paid far too much for a correct item ( you know that one as we have "talked")
    I have always thought, buy as many books as you can and read a LOT, learn about all you can, however we cannot be "experts" ( and I hate that term as many here in the film industry consider me that)..but that's another story!!!

If I get a Good feel from something, then I will take the chance, so if I can save a bit of history...for myself or for others..then I think I have done well.
    Over here in Canada, with a much shorter Anglo/Saxan history, we find little, I know it may not seem that way with the "finds" I post, however think of all the stuff I have that is not as good as these items.
    Some items I would consider "almost crap" to me, would be the high light of a new collector..and I have to remember that, as we all started form somewhere...anyway on a tangent again!!! But this one is a good one.

AND THANK YOU FOR WELCOMING ME BACK...I really missed this forum, and the people that make it up. This is the best Military forum I have veer seen, and one of a very few I have become a member of

Take Care

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

As I posted Dean, I am glad you chose to return.

I still like to take a chance on some things I buy, but always with an eye as to what I could afford to lose if I get it badly wrong, but in the main I think I do alright, got some good deals recently and on balance I am ahead of the game.

Anyway, back to the item, lovely bit of kit and with the card you can't go wrong. The sort of item that fakes, if they exist do not compare to an original.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks again Jerry, I will keep an eye out for your "dragons"..might be able to find you a couple more Canadian ones..but of Course, being Canadian Dragons they tend to apologise after eating villagers or buning down the towns!!! LOL

Dean O

I would think that many items would have come across to Canada with the large number of immigrants over the last 200-300 years rather like here in Australia-perhaps the Robin Hood Rifles were associated with the Sherwood Foresters?

?

I think the current Regt would be the Grey and Simcoe Foresters, but I may be wrong..they were Sherwood Foresters, by "desent"

When I was in the Canadian Army their name was the "Gray and Slimy foreskins" well they may not have liked it, but then again, most Regts had nick names!!!

Perhaps another theard???? If it has not been done.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Dean you got that wrong Robin Hood had a bow not a rifle.--------------------LOL.

Robin Hood Rifles

Hi Dean, neat item! As Jerry says from my local Regt, as I am a Nottingham lad by birth.

Good to have you back.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!