Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ruining learning about WW2

Article about: As a certified high school history teacher, I definitely agree that the scope of what we teach is absolutely too broad and not in enough detail. Unfortunately, with these big standardized te

Default Re: Ruining learning about WW2

Ulysses S Grant, General who later became President of the United States, Dwight... His biography is sitting on my bookshelf - my collection of volumes on military history is nothing if not eclectic. I have stuff ranging from the Napoleonic wars right up to the first Gulf War via Crimea, Vietnam and the Falklands.

Guess in schools in particular, the emphasis is on getting kids through the exams to make league tables and the like look good - it's the same here in the UK. Surely though, in higher education a certain amount of reading around the subject and self-teaching is expected of a student; I know it was of me, though I studied engineering and later materials science, not history.

But some of this stuff is just basic general knowledge. Having said that, going by the photos, I wouldn't mind to be in Joe's history classes. I always did prefer practicals to theory myself...

Reynard, Several centuries ago, I read the autobiography of Grant. If you haven't read it, it's definitely worth the time and effort-it's a great book!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Reynard: Oh boy, you sure pushed a hot button when you wrote, "a recent survey though, it showed that most British kids barely know who Winston Churchill was, never mind naming Henry the Eighth's six wives... That's kind of scary." On the first day of every semester, I asked the class a few questions just to see what they knew and what they didn't know. Actually, I should have asked the questions just to find out how little they did know. The class was called History 15A/B which was a hybrid of US History and Political Science. If ever there was an oxymoron, it's political science. I taught the History side and another prof handled the Political Science part. Anyway, I asked the class, "Who was Ulysses S. Grant?" Dead silence. Finally a guy in the last row raised his hand and offered, "Wasn't he some kind of Civil War dude?" Well, I guess the man who led the Vicksburg Campaign (1862-63) and later became Gerneral-in-Chief of the Union Army (1864) would qualify as a "sort of Civil War dude." At least he had the right war. Dwight
    This reminds me of the documetary "Supersize Me". Half the kids on the doc. didn't know who the first US president was and they knew who Ronald Mcdonald was.....
    Also, I LOVE the World at War series. I have half of them on DVD

@ Wagriff: I'll definitely read it at some point.

@ Kylesbullets: kinda scary when fast food is more important than basic knowledge... And "The World at War" gets shown here regularly in the UK. I always try to catch it whenever I can. My mum loves to watch it too; she remembers bits and pieces from when she was a little girl in occupied Belgium.

They stopped showing the world at war series from what I know here. It's a shame how TV tries to hide the truth....

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    They stopped showing the world at war series from what I know here. It's a shame how TV tries to hide the truth....
    Also, most seem to be content with watching those stupid reality Tv shows such as: keeping up with the kardashians and here comes honey boo boo.

Quote by kylesbullets View Post
    Mmmmf, there's always the DVD box set

Reality TV does my head in - except for Strictly Come Dancing. A girl's gotta love a bit of bling... I am rather partial to a good history or science documentary however.

?

I must admit that i was luckier than most, in junior school we were taught old and modern history mainly WW1-WW2 , I assume that was because a lot of the teachers were war vets, even some of the women teachers had been teenagers during the war or worked with the voluntary services, but when i went to a Grammar School the main criteria was general history throughout the ages, BUT WE WERE ALLOWED TO PICK A SUBJECT, and most picked WW2, the reasons were obvious, we were growing up in a time whereby the war had only been over 10-15 years, we played war every day out in the streets and as we grew older that was still heavily imprinted in our minds, and especially in my case my father bought me many items that were war related, he also instilled in me the total futility of armed conflict , that combined with the urge to chase girls was my upbringing and although the chasing has sadly diminished, the collecting bug never has

Quote by Reynard View Post
    Mmmmf, there's always the DVD box set

Reality TV does my head in - except for Strictly Come Dancing. A girl's gotta love a bit of bling... I am rather partial to a good history or science documentary however.
    I have the DVDs, but not all of them

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123