Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ruining learning about WW2

Article about: As a certified high school history teacher, I definitely agree that the scope of what we teach is absolutely too broad and not in enough detail. Unfortunately, with these big standardized te

Default Ruining learning about WW2

Learning about WW2 in my school district isn't going to happen at the pace we are learning right now. They keep changing what we learn to where the civil war was some thing we were soppost to learn about 2 years ago and it is at the end of this year and the teacher is going to rush it. The same as far as I know about WW2. It is the last subject we learn about that year....

?

Default Re: Ruining learning about WW2

If you have the desire to learn about history there is nothing stopping you. School cannot teach you everything, just bits about some things.

There are huge resources out there in written form and on the internet, in tangible form like our collections, in visual form in museums and directly from the mouths of veterans.

If you're interested, you have to go and find them.......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Just hang on to the forum and you will most likely learn a lot more than in school anyway I am also sure members, including me will be willing to help you find sources where you can get info on the subject. It's of course sad that it's not a priority for them.

Regards, Lars

I know, but I feel bad for the others who might be interseted but don't know how to start. Also, school would become a lot more fun then

I would have to say you can gain more knowledge here in 1 week than being in highschool for 4 years!! "WE GOT WW2" and then some!!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

School history curriculums are a mile wide and an inch deep. Most don't cover WW2 itself, just the inter-war years up until the Munich Agreement (Chamberlain and his bit of paper) and then the aftermath i.e. the formation of the United Nations. I never did WW2 at school either - was this because I went to an all-girls school, I shall never know...

Your local library is a good place to start, and there's loads of good documentaries on TV, especially on the dedicated history channels. And charity shops, second hand shops, discount book shops and flea markets are all brilliant sources of war literature. Just last week I picked up books on the Graf Spee, the bomber command pathfinders, a biography of Rommel and one about the war diaries from the Mass Observation project.

Happy hunting.

Our school was a Catholic one and it was back in the bad old days, in any case. Do like I did-if the subject matter interests you that strongly and no one in the school seems to give a damn about teaching it-teach Yourself. Start checking out Library books and, of course, nowadays there is the Internet. You can find information on the Net that you'll find No other place on Earth. And, don't worry about your school academics-your brain is fully capable of School learning And Personal learning as well. Just because you're learning Algebra doesn't mean you can't Also learn Trigonometry at the same time. WWII History is just another subject to learn. An old teacher of mine once told me "Reading will never do you harm."
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I was thinking the same thing as Adrian - teach yourself. The internet
    provides so much more information than when I was in school.

Military history is also a good thing to learn. Alexander The Great,
    Napoleon, Genghis Khan, etc, all eras seem to have had wars.
    It's good to know a little of the earlier stuff too........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Strange how times have changed!!!!when i was at school which was only 30 years after the war we were not taught anything.the matter was not even touched on let alone discussed,in my comprehensive school history was not availible as a subject,so as already mentioned i have self taught,the skies the limit with the net,visits to museums and the experience of the members here just obsorb everything,regards minnie.

My school never touched on WW2. I learned about it from Commando books, Warlord comic and the classic war films of the 1960's ! Uniforms I learned from my Action Man collection. From then on it was grown up books on the subject and documentaries and now the Internet !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast