Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sad News - Rochus Misch Passed Away

Article about: Rest in peace Rochus. I saw him briefly on a U bahn station in Berlin signing autographs, he looked like a very tired old man who wanted to be left alone!..

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Spot on. The now-deleted photograph was a picture of Allerberger. (I hadn't recoginzed him at first, but have checked since your post.)

Well done. Of course, the problem is not so much Google Images as the misidentification of photographs on the websites it finds.

The man is a Greek journalist named Kostas Kallergis. For the source of the photograph and others taken during his encounter with Rochus Misch, see: Hitle | When the Crisis hit the Fan

Anyway, we are straying a bit off course here.

This is about the death of a noteworthy man, the last survivor from the inner circle surrounding Hitler up until his suicide and an honest and invaluable period witness to these years.

Much dispute has surrounded Mr. Misch from the time he first came to public attention and until the end of his life.

We can objectively say that he fulfilled his duty as a soldier and was never directly or indirectly involved in any war crimes. Of course, the question whether it can bemorally acceptable to actually guard the life of a man like Hitler is not an easy one to answer. His considering the 20 July plotters as "murderers of comrades" is also a controversial issue. We might not condone that sentiment, but seeing it from his personal perspective - that of a man who might have fallen to the assassination attempt had he happened to be in that room at that point in time - makes it at least understandable.

Whatever moral implications we might see in his service, between his near-fatal injury in the Polish campaign and his years as a Soviet prisoner, he certainly paid a high price.

In the end, he was neither a hero, nor a villain, but an ordinary man who found himself in extraordinary times and circumstances.

May he rest in peace.
    Well said!...

?

Nicely put, Andreas. He was definetly a true survivor. War injuries alone is dangerous , but spending nine full years in a Russian gulag(s) is a testament in itself! Anyone who has read the book, " the Gulag archaepelago" will understand the hardships of such places.

The man wrote a letter to his captors asking to be executed due to the treatment he was receiving, I think that says a lot about the suffering he endured at the hands of the Soviets. The Russians had plenty to be angry about and I can certainly sympathize with their feelings towards anyone that had been close to hitler but as someone living on the other side of the world seventy odd years after the end of the war I can also feel sympathy for a man like Rochus Misch, as Andreas said, an ordinary man who lived through an extraordinary period in world history, through no fault of his own.

[I [/QUOTE: Much dispute has surrounded Mr. Misch from the time he first came to public attention and until the end of his life.

We can objectively say that he fulfilled his duty as a soldier and was never directly or indirectly involved in any war crimes. Of course, the question whether it can be morally acceptable to actually guard the life of a man like Hitler is not an easy one to answer. His considering the 20 July plotters as "murderers of comrades" is also a controversial issue. We might not condone that sentiment, but seeing it from his personal perspective - that of a man who might have fallen to the assassination attempt had he happened to be in that room at that point in time - makes it at least understandable.

Whatever moral implications we might see in his service, between his near-fatal injury in the Polish campaign and his years as a Soviet prisoner, going from Lubyanka Buildung through nine years in various forced labor camps, he certainly paid a high price.

In the end, he was neither a hero, nor a villain, but an ordinary man who found himself in extraordinary times and circumstances.

May he rest in peace. I] UNQUOTE:- HPL 2008.

Eloquently put Andreas, and easily the most balanced reply here I believe. His obituary in the Daily Telegraph also notes:

"Though Misch was probably a reliable witness to the facts, he showed none of the remorse or psychological insight that others exhibited when talking about the Nazi era. To Misch, Hitler remained the kind boss who joked with his staff, loved Charlie Chaplin, children and animals and was so considerate towards others that he married Eva Braun the day before their deaths “solely out of consideration for her parents”."

Still, another witness to world changing history has passed on, so indeed, may he rest in peace.

Regards, Ned.
    Last edited by big ned; 09-07-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

apparently his 2008 book The Last Witness (Der Letzte Zeuge) is being translated into English next month...i had an opportunity to meet Rochus Misch about 4 years ago,but decided that it would be an intrusion on him at that stage of his life...i regret not meeting him,but at the same time feel if i had met him i wouldnt know what to say and would hate to have just sat and stared ...i remember the guys at the "Germania" exhibition talking about a visit from him and the insights he had provided them...

?

No matter what RM was or was not, he certainly paid a high price, as mr Lovecraft so eloquently put it.

The news of Misch's passing took me aback- it was something that was sadly expected for some time, but hearing it still makes you stop to think. With any news of the passing of veterans and witnesses to key world events, you are reminded of how valuable and transient the opportunities to learn from them really are, and that eventually such connections will be forever gone and literally resigned to history. However, this instance is probably the most potent for me. I know that many have contacted him, as a few here have already mentioned of- I had also, though I hadn't posted about it previously.

It was over two years ago now, but I learned of him through a documentary relating to Hitler's bunker, I believe. The program showed the photo of Misch standing in full uniform outside of the Wolf's Lair; my interest in the Third Reich has always been as much about aesthetics as it has history, and this particular photo I found to be incredibly striking. I felt it served as the definitive portrayal of the SS uniform, in a photo that to me has a sense of drama despite being posed and static. The documentary of course went on to explain Misch's relevance and then interviewed him. Finding out he was still alive, I decided to research him and learned of his openness to responding to letters, and so I thought I would do so too.

I had wanted to draw his uniformed photo, so I thought: Why not do so and actually send it to the man himself? There are surely few similar opportunities, and so I did. I accompanied them with a letter I had written, explaining my interests and my reasons for doing so, which I had translated into German by a helpful friend. I found out from a news article a while after posting him (it was actually published before, though I hadn't seen it) that due to ill health, the content in the article was the last interview he would be giving, and that he was understandably no longer writing back to people. I consequently didn't expect to hear back, so was amazed when I subsequently got a response.

It was my envelope that had been returned, which I initially figured just hadn't made it to him- but inside were my drawing and pictures I sent to him, signed, as well as some signed copies of photos of himself. He hadn't written a letter back, but had kept mine, though just the fact that he had even had those sent to me despite his situation and recent statement, was really great of him. I had actually intended for him to keep the drawing and print, which I even mentioned in the letter to be sure, but for whatever reason he returned them signed, for which I am very grateful. I can only assume he appreciated them for going to that effort. I refrained from posting about it online up until now, purely because I had learned at the time of his ill-health and lack of ability to respond to further mail, and I didn't wish to potentially lead to further contact. I have no doubt he was receiving a lot still anyway.

Here is my drawing and print, which I had tried to give the look of an old photo with to the latter. My skills have certainly developed since, but these are of course still very significant possessions to me.

*attachments weren't showing, added below*

I'm very pleased to hear that his book is finally due to be released in English, it was beyond me how that hadn't happened years ago. Also, I recall reading that a film was intended to be made on his life, though I have heard nothing more on this, and can't seem to find any mention of it around now... can anyone clarify anything about that? If it is to be made still, it is a shame that the most valuable reviewer of it's accuracy and fidelity to actual events is now gone.

Mat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amazon.com: The Last Witness: Movies & TV documentary
    not sure if this interview has been posted Hitler’s bodyguard - Salon.com

after so many years he may rest now.Who knows how many secretes he is takingh with him

?

A Very sad day indeed

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast