Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sailabration 2012!

Article about: This is kind of militaria related. This past few days the City of Baltimore held a "Sailabration" to commemorate the start of the War of 1812. This event featured domestic and fore

Default Sailabration 2012!

This is kind of militaria related. This past few days the City of Baltimore held a "Sailabration" to commemorate the start of the War of 1812. This event featured domestic and foreign ships of war as well as Tall Ships. Unfortunately, I went on a day when it was completely cloudy and partly rainy. It had been sunny without a cloud in the sky all weekend. Just my luck!

Here you will find photos of the different ships. The US ships were in secure sections and I just ran out of time to get to them and thru security. I was tyring to get photos of the ships you don't usually see, from countries you don't usually associate with having a Navy. Also, the Baltimore downtown skyline is viewable in many of the pics.

Enjoy!

First up, the NOAA research vessel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Sailabration 2012!

US Army Corps of Engineers research vessel.

- - Updated - -

Ecuador tall ship

- - Updated - -

Mexican Navy tall ship

Brazilian Navy tall ship. Mexican tall ship docked behind.

O Canada! Our friends to the North.

Tall ship on the left is the USS Constellation. This was built in 1854 as a sloop of war. Last ship of sail commissioned by the US Navy. Try this link for more information on her. A rather marvelous ship USS Constellation (1854) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two white ships on the left are the Brazilian and Mexican tall ships.

The two modern ships are the Spirit of Baltimore and Inner Harbor Spirit. They are dinner cruise ships.

Some general pics. Sand art, Baltimore Skyline, Maryland State Police Medevac helicopter, piece of the NY World Trade Center towers dedicated to those from Maryland who were killed in the terrorists attacks on 9-11-01, a family of ducks eating whatever is on the side of the USS Torsk (a US WWII submarine permanently docked in Baltimore.) In the last pic if you look way in the background you can see the stadium lights atop the Camden Warehouse, this is the home of the Baltimore Orioles MLB baseball team.

I think those are the best pics I have. If I find others I will add them. Not a pretty day, but a pretty cool event. Hope you enjoyed the thread.

Looks like a great event. Too bad about the weather.
    Did you board any of the ships.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Looks like a great event. Too bad about the weather.
    Did you board any of the ships.........?
    I so desperately wanted to, but the lines were ridiculous. I thought maybe being a Monday and bad weather, I'd be able to walk right on, but no way. I would have probably waited 45 minutes to get onto one ship, and I only had time to stay about 3 hours, and that was with a fast lunch.

Great photos mate, thanks for showing.