Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

School talks and displays.

Article about: My ten year old daughter came home yesterday and announced her class/year are going to be learning about World War Two this term. She mentioned to her teacher that her Dad collects medals an

Default Re: School talks and displays.

Hi Adrian, I did a talk at my Grandson's school at the beggining of December. It great fun! I had done this type of things a few times before, so I knew what to expect.

I made everything hands on where possible. But I did not take in awards.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

My history teacher is aware of my hobby of collecting militaria, so he has asked me on several occasions if I have something related to and event he is teaching at the moment to a class. Because of my modern day oriented collection, I have sadly had to tell him that I do not have items related to whatever subject he is teaching at the moment.

But I provided him the NVA belt I had when he was going through the Cold War with another class, and I told him about one of my Belgian L.702 gas masks that has the 1940 Stockholm Import stamp so he asked me if he could borrow it in the future.

Going a little off-topic, but I have always wanted to be a history teacher, and I hope that I someday will. I am thinking of going to study history in Oulu after I have spent the most time in the FDF as I can!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Adrian, I did a talk at my Grandson's school at the beggining of December. It great fun! I had done this type of things a few times before, so I knew what to expect.

I made everything hands on where possible. But I did not take in awards.

Cheers, Ade.
    In my honest opinion, hands-on where possible is the best policy. It's just very important to pace yourself and not pass too many objects out at one time. During my first ever WWII hands-on presentation, I turned my back to write no the board, and one of my students (and also someone I coached on the track team), took a pair of pliers out of his backpack and was holding my M1 steel pot like a frying pan!

My newest strategy is to let students handle my 1980s M1 steel pot, Spanish Modelo-Z, and my various civil defense helmets, while keeping my other, more valuable pieces for "hands-off" viewing.

Quote by Poromies View Post
    Going a little off-topic, but I have always wanted to be a history teacher, and I hope that I someday will. I am thinking of going to study history in Oulu after I have spent the most time in the FDF as I can!
    I wish you the best of luck! In the USA, teaching is a very hard profession to get into right now. Most school districts are cutting spending and eliminating teaching positions. I know many young teachers who are jobless right now and are working as per diem substitute teachers, or working in other professions entirely (retail, landscapers, construction, etc.)! Believe it or not, a lot of the customers who come into our recycling facility are out-of-work teachers!

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I wish you the best of luck! In the USA, teaching is a very hard profession to get into right now. Most school districts are cutting spending and eliminating teaching positions. I know many young teachers who are jobless right now and are working as per diem substitute teachers, or working in other professions entirely (retail, landscapers, construction, etc.)! Believe it or not, a lot of the customers who come into our recycling facility are out-of-work teachers!
    Thanks! Here in Finland the situation is pretty much the same.

I've done a few talks too as a result of my history teacher knowing that I'm into all things military, I pretty much did what the others have mentioned and it went very well Another thing you could do (which I have done) is to use powerpoint to show period photographs of the items you are showing being used.

Thanks

Danny

?

I sincerely appreciate all your advice and tips on this one. I'll be speaking to the teacher this week to find out exactly they would like and go from there. Thank you all once again.

Im 15, and these are some suggestion I have for you.
    Have some hands on stuff! Being able to touch the things is the best part. Tell them to imagine, just who has held the item before, and where it may have been! Maybe show some period photos/videos showing the items that you bring in during ww2.

You can tell them to ask their parents about their family military history when they get home, that's how I got into the hobby of collecting!
    And remind them how young some soldiers were, relate it to their families, older brothers etc.

Anyhow, have fun! I'm sure the kids will enjoy it!

Quote by matthewsq View Post
    You can tell them to ask their parents about their family military history when they get home, that's how I got into the hobby of collecting!
    And remind them how young some soldiers were, relate it to their families, older brothers etc.
    I agree! I can't believe I forgot to mention this... Tell the students that the generation that experienced WWII is fading fast, so if they're interested in what their family members faced during the war, then they need to talk to their older relatives, FAST!

If you're speaking to high school students, tell them that kids their age were in the service! If we magically went back in time ~70yrs, they'd be sitting in a trench under fire somewhere!

If you can, tell the kids about the local history during the war!

For example, my hometown is famous for the IBM plant. Now the plant produces a microchip for Nintendo's latest videogame system... back then, IBM made M1 Carbine, Browning Automatic Rifles, and other precision machines. There were two other major factories in our town... one made gauges for airplanes and submarines, another made aircraft elevators for aircraft carriers. Finally, FDR himself is from my hometown. The Presidential Library, mansion, grave site, etc. are amazing to visit... I was shocked to learn that some of my students didn't know that!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12