Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The search for MH-370

Article about: Hi Willie, Thanks for you post! You not wrong about the sound, all the windows and houses within a 5klm radius shake and rattle. So loud and so impressive. I still cant believe that the chin

Hi Willie, Thanks for you post! You not wrong about the sound, all the windows and houses within a 5klm radius shake and rattle. So loud and so impressive. I still cant believe that the chinese are letting our RAAF pilots fly in them and most of all lfly the plane. Talk about getting along well with such a huge and imposing military.
    As i am typing this another just came in. must of just came back from another search. Every day now one heads out around 5am and arrives back around 12.45- 2pm . I think the take off annoys so many people here but we all know its for a good reason. Stay tuned, more pics to come

Thanks for the pics, Marc. It's fairly rare we see them in Australia. I missed the one in Brisbane a while back.
    I guess when the new Il-476 with the new ICAO compliant high bypass engines gets a bit of a go on, we'll see them a lot more often. But I think a big part of the experience is the bizarre sound of the old engines. The noise of the whine seems to be a lot more overwhelming than the exhaust noise. Not sure what causes it entirely, but the small distance betqween the intake lip and the fan is a big contributing factor.

Cheers, Willie.

Quote by jagdhorn View Post
    I do appreciate seeing a photo of the Chinese plane. I was in the reserves with C-5As, and I have to admit- I don't know if they are smaller or bigger. In any case, Thanks!
    Patrick
    Patrick, the C-5 is close to twice the empty weight and MTOW of the Il-76. The most comparable to the Il-76 is the Lockheed Starlifter. Very similar in physical size, although the Ilyushin is nearly a third heavier than the Starlifter.
    The old C-5 sure is a legend. It was the birth of the turbofan for one.

Cheers, Willie.

Well there was no need for alll that sneaking around fences to get the US planes on film and photo. Got some great photos and this Video of the take off...
    US Navy Boeing P 8 Poseidon Leaving Perth in search of MH370 - YouTube

US and Chinese militart at the same airport...... USA & Chrinese Military in one location - YouTube

Excellent photos, thanks Marc.

Cheers, Willie.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast