Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Secret Footage from inside P.o.w Camp.

Article about: Hi Came across this article on the BBC News channel it gives a fascinating insight into a P.o.w Camp. Martin BBC News - Incredible secret footage from inside a WWII prison camp

Default Secret Footage from inside P.o.w Camp.

Hi
    Came across this article on the BBC News channel it gives a fascinating insight into a P.o.w Camp.
    Martin
    BBC News - Incredible secret footage from inside a WWII prison camp

Hello Martin,

thanks for showing this it's absolutely fascinating and surely the only one of it's type. My uncle was in the RAF but was captured during the Battle of Crete and ended up at Stalag VIII B for the rest of the war in Silesia. He was one of the many involved in the notorious 'Death March' when thousand of prisoners were forced to march westwards across Poland, Czechoslovakia and Germany in terrible winter conditions.

He said he was treated well generally except that the guards used to steal the chocolate out of the Red Cross parcels so none of them tasted chocolate for years!

I found the tunnel digging clip the most interesting, especially the fresh air supply system. The two short sections showing a digger under ground graphically illustrate the physical hardship the diggers experienced working underground. I have written two books on POW escapes from German POW camps in WWI, but this was the first time I have actually seen a motion picture showing how difficult the chore really was. Thanks for posting that. Dwight

?

Very interesting.