Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should I open them or not?

Article about: Yesterday I picked up some rather rare NBC equipment from a surplus shop not far from where I am currently based. At the moment I'm having a bit of a dilemma with myself over whether I shoul

Default Re: Should I open them or not?

I remember when I was first issued with NBC gear when I was staioned in Germany. It was probably around 1970 - and the first time this stuff had ever been issued. The pants and top were made of a charcoal-impregnated material which I seem to recall was part grey and part green. We were given two sets. One was to be used for exercise and the other set kept in the event of hostilities. When the packets were opened it was an absolute nightmare trying to open up the the suit. All the material was stuck together. The gas-masks had the cannister on the rleft side and were totally useles for someone like me who is cack-handed (left handed for our american cousins).

Don't open the packets!
    Author of... 'Belfast Diaries: A Gunner In Northern Ireland'... 'A Tough Nut To Crack: Andersonstown.. Voices From 9 Battery Royal Artillery In Northern Ireland'... 'An Accrington Pal: The Diaries of Pte Jack Smallshaw, September 1914 To March 1919'.

?

Remember it too Steve , we had to tab in full suits and gasmask , then do a range shoot with SLR's and GPMG'S plus doing a Fire mission in all that clobber was a right laugh .......... not !! After the first mile on the Tab everyone was ripping the masks off for a gulp of air and getting bollocked for now being dead !!! Happy days !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    which I seem to recall was part grey and part green.
    Sounds like the No.1 Mk2 suit, I've got the trousers for one in my locker somewhere Just need to hunt for a smock in the mountain of suits at the shop!

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The gas-masks had the cannister on the rleft side and were totally useles for someone like me who is cack-handed (left handed for our american cousins)!
    Interestingly enough there actually were left handed version of the SR6 respirators, in the Survive to Fight manual accompanying the SR6 it did mention there were masks with the filters on the right for left handed shooters, however it was apparently only issued to those using the pistol or Sterling SMG, not the SLR.

Thanks

Danny

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Remember it too Steve , we had to tab in full suits and gasmask , then do a range shoot with SLR's and GPMG'S plus doing a Fire mission in all that clobber was a right laugh .......... not !! After the first mile on the Tab everyone was ripping the masks off for a gulp of air and getting bollocked for now being dead !!! Happy days !!
    Its a hell of a lot easier now than it was back then by the sounds of things! I have no idea what it will be like at my unit however all the CBRN training I've done so far has been nothing compared to what you've just said!

Thanks

Danny

?

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Its a hell of a lot easier now than it was back then by the sounds of things! I have no idea what it will be like at my unit however all the CBRN training I've done so far has been nothing compared to what you've just said!

Thanks

Danny
    Back in our day Danny NBC Training was looked on as another Beasting session !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

We just had to run about for a bit until one of the corporals shouted "GRENADE" as they always do in which it turned into a good old session of leopard crawling. The actual beasting for us only started when someone referred to the "Respirator Testing Facility" as a gas chamber, or called the GSR Respirator a gas mask

It was quite a memorable experience, particularly when you see someone you don't get along with suffer before you do

Thanks

Danny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12