MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Siberia Picture Frame 1918-1919 -Anyone ever seen this?

Article about: I came across an old picture frame. I will try and attach a few photos to show it. It says "Siberia" above where the photo goes and has the dates "1918" and "1919&qu

Default Siberia Picture Frame 1918-1919 -Anyone ever seen this?

I came across an old picture frame. I will try and attach a few photos to show it. It says "Siberia" above where the photo goes and has the dates "1918" and "1919" below on each side on an eagle.

Going by the dates and the B&W photo, I was thinking this may have been some sort of WW1 memorabilia or something. I'm very good at researching items like this, but I've spent countless hours and came up empty....can't find anything else like it.

Appreciate any help that can be provided! Thanks All!
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

Default Re: Siberia Picture Frame 1918-1919 -Anyone ever seen this?

Hello and welcome to the forum, thank you for posting this item.
    To my mind I suggest it's a one off piece, made and carved by hand by the person in the photo(?), for the person in the photo(?). It might be called trench art or POW art. I'm not sure anything more could be found out about the frame other than the opinions from people here on the forum as I don't believe there will be another like it.
    Any clues on the identity or nationality of the person in the photo? Then at least it could be moved to the most appropriate sub forum for further opinions.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I would suggest this relates to the Allied intervention in the Russian Civil War. Allied troops and aid were sent to the White Army at this time. I expect you are in the USA? The eagle certainly looks American. If so, this item relates to the "American North Russia Expeditionary Force".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and responses...Much appreciated!

Adrian - I was kinda thinking the same thing...that this may be a one off piece made specifically for/by the guy in the photo. I have no idea who the man in the photo is, although he looks to be American and I received this piece from an estate in New Jersey. Unfortunately I know nothing more about the estate or who it belonged to.

Adrian # 2 - I was thinking the same thing...that it most likely relates to the American North Russia Expeditionary Force. Yes, I am in the USA and I agree that the Eagle looks very American.

So let's say this is a one of a kind piece....Would it hold any type of value to the right collector? Obviously if I knew who it belonged to or who was in that photo and they were a known person it would increase the value, but since I haven't the foggiest idea, what do you guys think? It looks to fit the bill age wise, and relates to a very important time in History....so do you guys think it has any value if it's the only of it's kind to someone who collects stuff from that era? Or is it basically worthless without knowing who made it or who it was for?

Thanks again guys!

?

To the average Joe in the street, there is no value except as a curio, to the right person in the right market there is a value, what it is I really can't say because I genuinely don't know. It could appeal on many levels, Russian collectors, American collectors, ANREF collectors, photo frame collectors, treen collectors, hand carved artifact collectors etc etc.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Very nice piece you got there.

Adrian - Thanks alot...that's what I figured

Datrus - Thanks! Just wish I knew a bit more about it. This is generally the type of item that I would sell to a more avid collector, but I just don't feel I know enough about it. There's really nowhere in my area to take it to have it looked at, so the best place to put it if I do decide to sell it would be ebay to attract all the different type of collectors, but then again I haven't a clue as to what I'd even be looking to get for it or where to start it lol. I have the same general feeling as Adrian that it's most likely a one of a kind and I'm probably not going to find any more info so now I just have to decide whether to store it away for safe keeping or take my chances and sell it.

Either way, I was very happy to find it

?

If you send me some pics, i can try to post it on some Russian forums. Don't know if you like that idea. Just an offer.

Thanks Datrus....I appreciate it and it can't hurt to try. How can I go about sending you the pictures?

?

I will PM you my mail.