Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sir Douglas Bader's tactics criticised by veterans.

Article about: Sorry Nick, you mentioned you dont regard him as a Battle of Britain Hero, then what do you regard him as? I know he was regarded as an arrogant foolish fellow, but in my eyes, to do what he

Default Re: Sir Douglas Bader's tactics criticised by veterans.

Ah well, we will have to agree to dissagree. In my humble opinion, i think Bader did inspire pilots at the time. ( 17/18 ) I can only think of myself at that age, 18, a few years ago haha , i had a really bad motorcycle accident and could not walk properly for nearly 2 years, finished my potential army career. ( Violins out )

Bader was propagander for sure, but why not? He did his duty, he was a hero

Achievements of the Big Wing were hard to quantify, as the large formations often took too long to form up, over claimed kills, and too often did not provide timely support of the over-committed 11 Group. The episode probably contributed to the departure of Park, who was replaced with Leigh-Mallory in November 1940, and Dowding. While it is not known whether Mallory and Bader were aware that the claims of the RAF and Big Wings were exaggerated, they certainly tried to use them as a potent tool with which to remove Park and Dowding from command and pursue the Big Wing tactic. After the war, Bader insisted that both he and Leigh-Mallory wanted the Big Wing tactic enacted in 12 Group only. They both believed, according to Bader, that it was impractical to use in 11 Group as the command was located too close to the enemy and would not have enough time to assemble.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

You google that Nick?

He was heroic in many ways, but at the same time flawed in others, as many great personalities of that war and others often are, and for very similar reasons. We can argue till the cows come home on both aspects, but nothing original will be said here that hasn't already been aired or mooted many, many times before concerning the man and his character.

Suffice to say he was a complex personality who engendered either great loyalty or fierce loathing, such was the nature of the man. I have conflicting personal views of him that are hard to reconcile, so will leave them be, but one thing that always brings a smile to my face is an incident that occured in the 60's when visiting his great friend Adolph Galland in Munich. On entering a room full of ex-Luftwaffe pilots and aircrew gathered together in his honour he loudly exclaimed "My God! I never realised we left so many of you bastards alive!"

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Big Ned, your oratory skills are as good as the great man himself !! ( Churchill not Hitler for those in doubt ) i think we should leave it at that !

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    You google that Nick?
    Clever observation !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nick, Nothing personal, play the picture quiz ! Take it easy , big hugs !

My dad met Bader a couple of times in the early 50s when he was doing his national service in the RAF, a few officers in my dads unit had served with Bader before and during the war, they described him as an arrogant pain in the ar*e.
    To me and i'm sure many other people i can only describe him as an inspirational hero!...

?

I interviewed Dawyk Haig in 2006 for a documentary on the 90th Anniversary of the Somme , he was in Colditz with Bader and described him as " Completly Mad " !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Nick, Bader qualified for the B.O.B. clasp.you had to fly at least sortie in a credited sqdrn to get it. a very flawed man.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast