Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

So I was reading an article earlier about the late James gandolfini(rip)

Article about: And apparently his father also named James was awarded a Purple Heart in ww2. Does anyone know anymore information about it? Also he was an Italian, could non Americans be awarded Purple Hea

Default So I was reading an article earlier about the late James gandolfini(rip)

And apparently his father also named James was awarded a Purple Heart in ww2.
    Does anyone know anymore information about it?
    Also he was an Italian,
    could non Americans be awarded Purple Hearts?
    Thanks, Daniel

Default Re: So I was reading an article earlier about the late James gandolfini(rip)

Quote by daniel1234 View Post
    And apparently his father also named James was awarded a Purple Heart in ww2.
    Does anyone know anymore information about it?
    Also he was an Italian, could non Americans be awarded Purple Hearts?
    James Joseph Gandolfini Sr. was born at Borgo Val di Taro in Italy; but from what his late son said about him, it is clear that he must have moved to the U.S. at a young age:

"He was a janitor for 36 years in a school in New Jersey, where I was raised. And in his youth he was a bricklayer who helped build Shea Stadium. He won a Purple Heart in World War II. He was a very good man."

(Source: Out to Lunch: James Gandolfini | Vanity Fair )

Surely, he fought in WW2 as a member of the U.S. armed forces and naturalized U.S. citizen.

Default Re: So I was reading an article earlier about the late James gandolfini(rip)

As I thought. Here is a little more on this matter:

"His mother, Santa, was born in the U.S. but was raised in Naples, Italy before returning, while his father, James Joseph Gandolfini, Sr., was born in Borgo Val di Taro, a rural town in Northern Italy, around 100 miles south of Milan. The couple, who were both devout Roman Catholics, moved to New Jersey and in a strange twist, Gandolfini Sr. went on to battle his birth country while fighting for the U.S. Army in World War II. He was awarded a Purple Heart after being wounded on the front lines in France."

(Source: James Gandolfini's early years growing up in New Jersey | Mail Online )

Very interesting revelation (to me at least) in light of this great actor's sudden passing... thanks for sharing!

Been a fan of Gandolfini ever since watching the first episode of Sopranos, sad to see him go at such a relatively young age... but, I guess, worded in typical Tony Soprano lingo in light of a sad situation: "ehhh, whaddayagonna do..."

There are many servicemen Today that are not born citizens....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Living in New Jersey myself......I am saddened by his passing. I found it exhilarating as a Sopranos fan to visit those same places where filming took place,,eating in the same Restaurants and the infamous Soprano club house / go go club,, the "Baddabing"...aka real name " Wiggles" , a strip club owned by New Jersey mobster Vincent Palermo before it was shut down. He was an actor that was never selfish but remained in the middle and remembered those who helped him to the top. RIP
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yes, very sad indeed... I actually visited New York early January of last year and meant to do the Sopranos tour as I'm a big fan but we never got around to visiting New Jersey, unfortunately... oh well, next time around, I guess