Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

some like the lids display some not?

Article about: Some might know i have put some pics of my relic german helmets on the forum.I was interested to hear some views and suprise at the way i display mine.eg some infantry madals on the helmet ,

Default some like the lids display some not?

Some might know i have put some pics of my relic german helmets on the forum.I was interested to hear some views and suprise at the way i display mine.eg some infantry madals on the helmet ,a spike ect on the m16 ,and so on.I also put the info on where the helmet is from . .I would think most guys would display them on shelves and that is fine if that satisfies you .I personally like chopping and changing ,maybe a bread bag strap on one then another ,and then dust goggles ectthe variants are endless ,and it keeps looking at them interesting.Looking forward to see other ideas for display though!

?

Default Re: some like the lids display some not?

Mate personally i would never display them like that but they are your lids and it's each to his own !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi,
    I did look at you collection of relic helmets most are good as relics go, Most relic collectors do keep there helmets on shelves, this is mainly to preserve and protect them from anymore damage.
    And to take pride in what we collect, but as Paul says each to there own, It is ok to show badges, spikes ect on helmets but you must remember that the badges are also relics and should be kept safe from damage. this is why we as collectors keep suck items, to show and teach others the history of the military life mainly in wartime. I have miltary items i used in the seventies and eighties
    and they are also protected from damage.
    dave.

Yep, got to agree with Paul and Dave here mate. It does look like you've got some good lids there mate, but they're also very delicate! Sticking things to the helmets, and writing on them is just causing more irrepairable damage!

As for displaying them, why not just put them on a shelf for everyone to enjoy. The less you handle them, the longer they'll last!

Don't take it as people having a go at you mate... were not! There's a few people here who'd love to own a couple of those lids, and I suppose we like to see relic items being well taken care of.

Woody

No problem ,the points you guys made are very sensible.I tend to handle the relics that arent flaking though the more delicate ones are left on the shelf,but i definately take your points1