Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Somme/Flanders Trip

Article about: Hello all! I thought i would share with you some of the photos from our recent trip to the Somme and Flanders. I'll try and be selective Our first week was camping at a village called Bertan

Default Re: Somme/Flanders Trip

An absolutely amazing journey...a path through history, I have never been ! shameful I know, but if there's no beaches and sangria, my wife will not go...... Oh well, at least I visit some of the sites in the Spanish civil war that way ! Vicky, a very interesting and informative thread, with great photographs, love the museums and their exhibits ! Where to next...Verdun.
    Thanks for taking the time to post and compose this thread, it seems to share a great holiday you had with us all !
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Quote by oradour View Post
    An absolutely amazing journey...a path through history, I have never been ! shameful I know, but if there's no beaches and sangria, my wife will not go...... Oh well, at least I visit some of the sites in the Spanish civil war that way ! Vicky, a very interesting and informative thread, with great photographs, love the museums and their exhibits ! Where to next...Verdun.
    Thanks for taking the time to post and compose this thread, it seems to share a great holiday you had with us all !
    Prost ! Steve.
    Thanks Steve, Yes, how did you guess? Verdun is the next place on out list. If we cant do it later on this year it will be done next year. We would like more time around the Yser and then head down to Verdun stopping at places along the way.

I intended to go to Verdun a couple of years back...but it did not happen ! and I doubt it ever will....I got this guide book, I will send it along with the other item, I am sure it will be better off in your hands ! It is very informative......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

?

Great photos Vicky and lovely weather on your trip , i have visited the Somme aprrox 20 times over the years and spent many happy days in Thiepval Wood and across the surrounding Battlefield with Teddy Colligan the previous custodian of the Ulster Tower but i haven't been for about 3 years so it is nice to see how the restoration of the trenches in the wood has developed !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Some excellent photos V & J... I'm of to Europe in the summer with the Missus,& I can't wait this has just made the wait worse lol.. Cheers Terry.

Quote by oradour View Post
    I intended to go to Verdun a couple of years back...but it did not happen ! and I doubt it ever will....I got this guide book, I will send it along with the other item, I am sure it will be better off in your hands ! It is very informative......
    Prost ! Steve.
    Thats fantastic. Thank you very much

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234