Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Somme/Flanders Trip

Article about: Hello all! I thought i would share with you some of the photos from our recent trip to the Somme and Flanders. I'll try and be selective Our first week was camping at a village called Bertan

Default Somme/Flanders Trip

Hello all!

I thought i would share with you some of the photos from our recent trip to the Somme and Flanders. I'll try and be selective

Our first week was camping at a village called Bertangles. Here is the chateau that was used as an Australlian Headquarters WW1 aswell as the village cemetery housing the original burial place of Manfred von Richthofen and a single RFC grave. Around the fields whilst walking we found some bits and pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Somme/Flanders Trip

The South African Delville Wood Memorial and cemetery was visited and the little museum they have there is fantastic and i highly reccomend it. Around the grounds are blocks showing the original positions of the trenches.

On out way to the Somme we visited Etaples and the Cemetery. From my perspective i found seeing the graves of nurses my age very moving.

We stumbled across the village of Fay accidentally on our way to Peronne. After the war they residents decided not to rebuild the village on the orignial grounds to remind everyone of the effects the war had on the village. It certainly did that. Apparently this is the only village on the Somme which was not built on its original position.

Although we have both visited several times we felt we could not ignore Lochnagar Crater. A monumental place to visit.

Mametz Memorial and Wood. We had a little walk around the woods and evidence of the trenches are still very much visible.

Mill Road Cemetery near Thiepval wood. Quite a few of the grave stones are placed horizontally due to subsidence as a result of the German bunker systems.

The Ulster Tower and Thiepval Wood.

We went on one of the free tours around Thiepval wood which are provided by the custodian at the Ulster Tower. Again, a very informative day which we enjoyed. It was great seeing the Mortar Pit for a 2 inch toffee apple and then visiting the memorial museum in which they have the original mortar they found in the pit along with some of the transportation caps.

Also shown are a few relics we found further down from the Ulster Tower. Again, still lots of live ordnance on the side of the road.

Thiepval.

Again, despite being there several times its not something that can be missed. Whilst walking around the surrounding fields evidence of the fighting is still very much visible. We picked up a few shrapnel plates and avoided picking up the Mills Bombs shown in the pictures if you can make them out.

10KM North of where we were camping was the underground village of Naours. During WW1 it was used as an infirmary and a place for local villagers to shelter. It is one of the most amazing places i have visited. The walls are littered with graffiti of soldiers, their rank, regiment and even some of there addresses. In one room there there are examples of German, australlian, British and french graffiti. On one wall there is the graffiti of VC winner Meekosha. During the second world war it was used a german ammunition storage place.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast