Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

SS Komandant living in Minesota since 1949, JA?

Article about: You cannot get a fair trial when you are on the losing side. The winners write the history, just look at the Roman Conquests, the said everyone non-roman was a Barbar. This is the picture we

Default Re: SS Komandant living in Minesota since 1949, JA?

I thought that "Barbarian" simply meant someone one who was "Strange" to that area and did not speak Greek. I know that I went out with a "Barbara" for some considerable time, and I can attest that she was, indeed, Strange...
    (And, no...not cause she dated Me...!)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

@ TrondK Hear hear, very interesting indeed. As well as the Roman perspective that has been handed down through time...

@ 37Webbing It is eye opening that even the term Barbar, Barbarian has been perverted to mean something (unfortunately negative) which it was never supposed to mean. But now can't be undone... As in also the name "Vandal". It is very interesting how history becomes twisted (by the people who write it), but becomes the widely accepted fable...

@ Dwight I had no idea these "laws" were so incredibly arbitrary, if it is in fact (not doubting you) how they were written and more importantly are being interpreted. And I agree with you completely " There has to be solid evidence to prove either actual participation or actual aiding and abetting the specific crime". The only way an officer should be charged with a war crime when not present is if men were acting under specific orders. I suppose after this many years that it becomes extremely difficult to ascertain actual facts, but one should never be charged merely by association, as in the scenario you describe.

Quote by TrondK View Post
    You cannot get a fair trial when you are on the losing side.
    If that were so then why were so many found not guilty at their trials? Or the bigger question..why were so many Nazis and Germans never brought to trial in the first place?

Churchill wanted all of the Nazi leadership executed without any trial whatsover - Stalin also wanted tens of thousands shot without trial. So those few Nazis and Germans that were eventually brought to trial were pretty fortunate to have such an opportunity to get their day in court and possibile life line.

Francine Hirsch, Associate Professor of Soviet History at the University of Wisconsin–Madison in her paper "The Soviets at Nuremberg: International Law, Propaganda, and the Making of the Postwar Order" makes the following observations:

"...Most English-language accounts describe Soviet participation in Nuremberg as “the Achilles’ heel” of the trials: regrettable but unavoidable, a Faustian bargain that the U.S. and Britain made in order to bring closure to the war and bring the Nazis to justice. Popular works that have shaped conventional wisdom about the trials give little attention to the substantive role that the Soviets had in all aspects of the IMT.

Those commentators who do focus on Soviet participation often do so in order to highlight the flaws of such tribunals and to make a point about “victors’ justice,” in the most extreme cases as part of a larger project to discredit the historical record of the Holocaust."

Last edited by StefanM; 06-25-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by Doppelgänger View Post
    @ TrondK Hear hear, very interesting indeed. As well as the Roman perspective that has been handed down through time...

@ 37Webbing It is eye opening that even the term Barbar, Barbarian has been perverted to mean something (unfortunately negative) which it was never supposed to mean. But now can't be undone... As in also the name "Vandal". It is very interesting how history becomes twisted (by the people who write it), but becomes the widely accepted fable...
    Yes, it is actually interesting to witness this "perversion" of the original word. Although that is a harsh word to use, for the "normal" development with words in the daily language. And true, it can't be undone.

I say leave the old man be. The whole 'we have to punish them all even though they are 90' is a bit out of line..

There is no time limitations for justice - if you committed a crime you should be judged even if you will not serve time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4