Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Storing and preserving orders, decorations etc.

Article about: Hi guys, As many of you perhaps have noticed I am quite new at collecting This is the case: I mainly have medals, badges and insignias in my collection and I was wondering if anyone could gi

KSH
    ?

Default Storing and preserving orders, decorations etc.

Hi guys,

As many of you perhaps have noticed I am quite new at collecting This is the case:

I mainly have medals, badges and insignias in my collection and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to store them. Unlike most collectors (my impression) I don't want to display them. Currently I am keeping most of my medals in ziploc bags.

I also have a cased EKI and it would be very interesting to know how other members store these cases.

Is it an advantage to keep the awards in a near airtight container (like a ziploc bag) or are moisture, temperature and the material the container is made from the most important factors?

All advice and input is most appreciated

Thank you in advance.

- Kenneth

?

Default Re: Storing and preserving orders, decorations etc.

Hi Kenneth,
    You could try looking through the threads in the Restoration and Refurbishing forum. I'm sure there are many tips on storing your awards in there.
    Keeping them away from direct sunlight and temperature/humidity/dampness/dust and variations of the previous is a good starting point.
    I believe that keeping them airtight is not such a good idea as one might think. If you can keep them in a constant environment it is best to let the awards etc 'breathe' slightly.
    There are theories that the materials used in construction of decorations, packets, cloth can give off gases over time which, if left unable to escape can lead to corrosion and deterioration of the condition of the items. Also, if there is any residual atmospheric dampness within the ribbons for example, keeping them in airtight containers will not let any dampness evaporate and therefore lead to problems.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....