These helpful hints are intended to help the beginning collector as well as the more experienced.
- If it just doesnít feel right, donít buy it.
- If itís too good to be true, it probably is.
- If you have a badge in mind that you want, do the research and know whatís right and whatís wrong.
- Never be afraid to ask what the return policy is. If itís not 100% money back guarantee for life donít buy.
- If a dealer tells you he doesnít know if itís original, it probably isnít.
- Donít forget, a makers mark doesnít mean itís original.
- Donít be scared of whipping out a magnifying glass to look at a badge.
- If it helps, make out a check list of what to look for.
- Create you own reference book with your favorite articles, pictures, etc. Include a section on fakes.
- Evaluate the item, not the story.
- Post all new acquisitions on this forum straight away so that you can return them within the
- Some badges may be original but may have been also altered which would affect their desirability and resale value.
- Buy reference books and check measurements with a digital vernier.
- Get to know other collectors and handle awards in their collections.
- Remember that colour is usually a useful guide- especially gold colour.