Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on using an old metal (steel?) ammunition box as a storage container for my other collectibles?

Article about: I was thinking about using an old military ammo box as a storage box for some of my collectibles. Some of the collectibles I considered using would be medals, paper money, old metal pieces (

Default Thoughts on using an old metal (steel?) ammunition box as a storage container for my other collectibles?

I was thinking about using an old military ammo box as a storage box for some of my collectibles. Some of the collectibles I considered using would be medals, paper money, old metal pieces (cap badges, dog tags, rings, cigarette boxes, match box clips, etc), and an atlas/almanac from the 1930's.

I am not worried about the physical damage from it rattling in the metal ammo box, because I made sure everything is adequately protected with bubble wrap or sleeves. On top of that, I would probably place the items inside of smaller cardboard boxes in the ammo box.

But my question is regarding the aging of the collectibles inside of an enclosed metal box? Would storing the different materials (hard metal, soft metal, paper) deteriorate faster because of some strange interaction with the metal (steel) ammo box?

CBH
    ?

Being located in the the South like you are , humidity would be the issue , changes in that and pressure could cause the box to sweat inside , even air-tight boxes . Silica packets would help , they act as a desiccant and absorbs moisture , dry these before use by placing in a warm dry place . Charcoal will also work for larger storage issues , but only use all natural , as chemicals are present is other types .

Quote by CBH View Post
    Being located in the the South like you are , humidity would be the issue , changes in that and pressure could cause the box to sweat inside , even air-tight boxes . Silica packets would help , they act as a desiccant and absorbs moisture , dry these before use by placing in a warm dry place . Charcoal will also work for larger storage issues , but only use all natural , as chemicals are present is other types .
    Hot and humid is definitely one way of describing this painful weather! What about like a wooden military ammunition crate? Currently I have my things in a thick cardboard box (triple layered, usually used to ship fragile items). Just wanted to come up with something creative.

Or what if I didn't seal the metal ammo box shut? If I just left it cracked open in some way?

CBH
    ?

If you can find some silica gel packs (usually found in camera boxes etc) it should be ok , but still keep an eye on it .

It will also help if you keep it store in room with a dehumidifier is helpful . Best of luck .

Well it's -20c/-4F with the wind here today , but it is refreshing I know my dog loves it .