Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Time lapse of every nuclear explosion on earth

Article about: Seismic Mystery in Australia: Quake, Meteor or Nuclear Blast? - New York Times

I found a meteorite fragment in Montana whilst looking for a missing cow back in 1998. It was on a yellow sandy hill, close to the top, at the side of a shallow valley, and stuck out like a sore thumb as it was black and all the other rocks were yellowish/grey-white limestone. It was just lying on the surface not buried and was kidney shaped, around 9-10" long and 4" wide at the widest end, and around 1 3/4" deep at the thickest part. It was very heavy for it's size, I reckon over 3 1/2lb and had flecks of rust in it and had obviously been subjected to great heat at sometime as it was blackened and had small holes over it's entire surface, which was otherwise fairly smooth.

It is currently in a private museum in the small town of Fromberg MT amongst many other interesting locally found items such as Native American artifacts, arrowheads, axes etc. fossils and various other rocks and minerals. Yellowstone Park is around 170 miles south west of there. I wish I had photographed it but never did.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I read the first line of your post Ned and was waiting for it to be a joke But what a nice find. A mate of mine has a good sized meteorite found locally in Nottinghamshire, I have held it and the weight is what really gives it away. Something I would love to find too.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The black color is usually what first catches the eye with meteorites. The nomads in Northwest Africa are finding this out, as they stick out from the sand and the countryside right nicely and can be sold for decent money. They think Westerners are nuts for paying money for old rocks. The next indicator is the unusual weight, as you said. They are full of metallic chondrules and are heavy to the feel. But, of course, the simplest method to get a quick fix on one is to touch a magnet to it. 99% of meteorites are magnetic, so if you have the 3 signs, it's not a bad thing! New find meteorites can bring several dollars a Gram...I've got a half a dozen different pieces around the house here-a few of which I've found myself. Rock fences around cleared farm fields are a great place to look for them too...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It was magnetic, actually it was the first thing the chap who runs the museum did, touch a magnet to it and it stuck, pretty firm! What made me actually get off the horse to look at it in the first place was that the shape made me think it may have been an Indian hand axe or suchlike as the area was renowned for artifacts. I was aware it may have some monetary value, but tbh, that wasn't a big deal to me and i'm happy it's on show in the little museum.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for sharing. I didn't realize there has been that many explosions/tests.

Between 1958-1962 alone, they blew off enough explosions that actually resulted in the creation of at Least 9 artificial Van Allen Radiation Belts around the planet...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for posting, Nick

I knew there was testing but not to this extent, scary is right. Under the video where people post comments, one person stated that the Western countries destroyed Iraq and they didn't have any WMD. That is just as scary! Imagine another mistake such as Iraq but with the use of nuclear weapons. Shudder at the thought.

Mark

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I read the first line of your post Ned and was waiting for it to be a joke But what a nice find. A mate of mine has a good sized meteorite found locally in Nottinghamshire, I have held it and the weight is what really gives it away. Something I would love to find too.

Cheers, Ade.
    I was also waiting for the punchline Ade I hope you never get into a serious but unlikely predicament Ned. I'd hate to dismiss your calls for help as banter and later discover you were eaten by the beast of bodmin while bog diving in your gimp suit

Funnily enough, on the front of World Arms Arms' latest catalog they have a small meteorite for sale at 3,750.....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123