Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Two new books I'd recommend

Article about: Hi all I would like to recommend two books to you all. The first I am sure many of you will have heard about and will probably already own, but just in case you haven't, 'D-Day' by Antony Be

Default Two new books I'd recommend

Hi all

I would like to recommend two books to you all.

The first I am sure many of you will have heard about and will probably already own, but just in case you haven't, 'D-Day' by Antony Beevor is a superb account of D-day and the subsequent battle for Normandy. I found it to be very informative and un-biased, going places where many books before had not gone, (i.e. the real reason Montgomery failed to take Caen, the battle the Americans faced in the 'real' bocage fighting), and covering the whole breadth of the battle from both allied and Axis perspectives.

I would also like to recommend 'World War II. The Definitive Visual Guide' (Editorial consultant Richard Holmes, DK books). Now I would normally never recommend a 'general' book about WW2, preferring instead the books written about specific battles in greater depth. However, I found this book to be well researched, and an excellent resource for military collectors, having many 'obscure' items pictured and documented. It is not on the scale of 'Military Collectables' but is, none the less, a very good book.

Steve T
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Two new books I'd recommend

Agreed Steve, two great books. I would humbly submit to all here Beevor's book 'Stalingrad', the definitive account of the battle, and Max Hastings tome 'Armageddon', the fall of nazi Germany. Both are electrifying reading which, in our vocational hobby, are essential reading in my opinion.

Check 'em out if you can fella's, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: Two new books I'd recommend

Agred also...

...but I have to say "D Day" by Stephen Ambrose did it for me. Even as an an American author he had respect for the British contribution and I learned loads from that book.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem